Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My weekend ride

3 posters

Go down

My weekend ride Empty My weekend ride

Post  Onehundredandeighty Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:50 pm

This weekend (24/25th), I'm riding up to Kin Kin and back.
If anyone isn't racing on Sat morning and is keen to join me for a while on the route out, let me know.
It will be a slow pace and heading out over Mt Mee initially. Following are both days routes..

Day 1
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=590908

Day 2
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=594693
Although, this may change to coming back through Bli Bli/Pamwoods/Eudlo/Landsborough to miss the traffic through Nicklin Way.

Something like this..
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=598842

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

My weekend ride Empty Re: My weekend ride

Post  ven2 Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:20 pm

I was inclined to race Sat morning, but have always wanted to ride up to Noosa, and wouldn't do it on my own.
Will see how I feel towards end of week, but here's 2 options I am thinking of:

- screw "sit in Saturday racing", and ride up with you. Stay overnight. If I'm too stuffed to ride all the way back, just peel off at any train station (Pomona, Cooroy, Landsborough, Caboolture).

- after racing, train to Pomona, ride to Kin Kin, ride the whole way back Sunday.

edit: the best time to do rides like this is fast running out. only a week or so away from magpie season, and increased av rain, heat, and wind.

Talk about it during the week.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:17 pm

WELL, what a weekend!
Bruce, fantastic effort mate. 400+ kms in two days with that climbing is a great achievement.
My Garmin (and we know they're all different) said 415kms and 4500+ mts elevation.
I KNOW my ass says it was at least that much!! The views from Maleny Stanley River Rd yesterday were fantastic! Almost matched the moment on Dayboro Rd yesterday when that fuck*ng retard truck driver nearly killed 3 people on bikes just because of his own supposed self importance!
Always amazes me how these pricks can't just pull over and voice their opinion of cyclists. Probably because he hasn't got the 'swingers' to come face to face with someone that is going to jam his teeth so far down his throat that he'll have to shove a toothbrush up his ass to clean them! I'm assuming of course that this feral piece of sh*t actually cleans his teeth!

Anyway, rant over.

Besides that, it was a fantastic ride that I implore anyone that has the slightest inkling of doing it to put your hand up for the next one.

Very Happy 

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Just another monster ride for you Phil...but something more for me. BTW, the last 4 weeks have seen you riding the strongest I've seen for months. Seems the lighter weight speaks for itself.  Thanks for being an outstanding ride buddy. The scenery was unbeatable...and when I needed a boost you sensed it and delivered. And a guy as genuinely nice, sharp, logical, and bike savy as Shane, is always good to have on a ride. Katherine deserves kudos for making that happen at Kenilworth, and being there on the David Low Way leg. Pass on my thanks to both.

Highlights for me:
- view from north end of Mt Mee, past Mt Mee church. Glasshouse Mtns in full splendor against the still rising sun in crystal clear air. btw, that's the first time I've been up Mt Mee since circa 1987. I honestly don't know why it is so popular. It's pretty ordinary imho....plus you have to negotiate the quarry trucks to get to it.
- Maleny Stanley River Rd climb....now that's a challenge on a long ride. but brilliant view towards the top.
- Kenilworth Bakery...just great company and food half way in.
- Cooroy Belli Creek Rd....man talk about false 'tops' must have been 6!  Smile
- the descent down to Kin Kin. understand why you went for it before that car had a chance to slow you down.
- Kin Kin pub. brilliant little pub in a quaint town. Saw Amanda (the dietitian you met) this arvo, and she says she used to go up there all the time with her horse and friends, stay at the showgrounds, and ride the Noosa Trail. She has also stayed at the pub and thinks the same of it as we did. (BTW, for its 60th anniversary, the Woman's Day is doing a story on Amanda and her daughter, as a follow up to one they did 20 years earlier, which was one of the mag's most popular ever.)
- my bed at Kin Kin....have never enjoyed crashing as much for a long time.
- the early Sunday start...was great to have the road to ourselves to Cooroy.
- Sunshine Coast crit track....now that's a brilliant piece of local govt infrastructure. Puts Brisbane to shame.
- even though I was fatiguing, I honestly never thought I'd ride David Low Way. I remember it from surfing days, when it was suicide to ride a bike on. The views this morning of the ocean as we rolled along helped keep me carry on.
- Kiel Mtn Road climb....now that was a true b.tch.
- Tunnel Ridge Rd climb was exactly as recalled from last time.
- I had to stop a few more times than you from Landsborough down. we're in different classes for rides like that....well most rides really hey  Smile I'm just not as much of an ox as you Phil. I know my limits and glad we could harmoniously agree to split there.
- the trip down from Landsborough was pretty much auto pilot. but slow. I just didn't have the juice to lift the speed...but knew I'd get back if I just settled into my own tempo. I have never been so glad to see the Ted Smout Bridge. That signified the home stretch...and the weis ice cream I had at Doug's was bliss. Then to get that odometer reading over 400 for the trip, I decided to push up past the Full Moon Hotel and around Shorny...might have tried to get 2x200+s but had already arranged to meet Amanda...and was pretty cactus.
- getting home was a really rewarding thing. I've never before done an overnighter, by riding out and back, from my front door! It's a very fulfilling experience.
- no magpie hits!  Smile

Bad points
- only one... and that's the quarry truck driver with the doggie we encountered north of the quarry. I'll be talking to Dayboro police this week, and putting the word out on Road Grime and BNA to see if anyone else has encountered this guy. He is definitely going to kill someone eventually if not shocked out of his bogan feral psychopathic ways. For everyone else's benefit, this guy blows his horn as he comes up behind, and does not move out to give you room one iota. Phil, Shane, and I bailed off the road due to how close he came to us. For me, he was no more than 30 cm away, and I bailed off the non existent shoulder into the gravel. Shane and Phil were about 50 metres ahead at that time, and they got the same treatment. Another group behind us, when they caught us at Mt Mee turnoff, said they got similar treatment.

Finally Phil, I said the ride was something more for me. Saturday week ago, I conquered my Everest....and that was Mt Glorious...and not only once! For several years, I knew when I could get up it without stopping, I would have a deep sense of self fulfillment...and never again care what anyone else thinks of my riding ability. That came to pass. And Kin Kin was like the left hook. Let the Madding Crowd do as is within their nature...I'm in a sweeter place. Very Happy

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GD Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:22 pm

Awesome guys! spew in I missed it! except for the truck driver bit!
Hopefully next time ill be able to come!

GD
GD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down