Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "How well does the OEM support Warranty" thread?

4 posters

Go down

The "How well does the OEM support Warranty" thread? Empty The "How well does the OEM support Warranty" thread?

Post  Pom Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:17 pm

As I've mentioned in another post, I finished the Mt Coot-tha ride with an unusual noise from the bike and decided to change out the bottom bracket. It's a Specialized Roubaix, and done 11,000 k's so was probably due, and the noise was from that neck of the woods. After removing the wheels, derailleur's, cranks, cabling and the like, I got the #1 daughter to give the frame a warm soapy water whilst I went out for bits.

Upon return, she commented that it looked nice, but pitty about the 'hole' in the frame! affraid

Drive side wheel stay, just in front of where the cable guide support is riveted on, there was a split / delimitation, and clear gap in the fibre layup. When pushed on it opened up notably. Horrified, I checked out the Specialized website for warranty info to find that there is a 'limited' lifetime warranty on the frame if you are the original owner.

I bought it new from Lifecycle in the city, but they no longer deal with Specialized, so I took it to another Specialized dealer who I recently purchased a Specialized 29'er from. (Refraining from naming them just yet pending the outcome of step 2!)

All good comments so far. Not a 'normal' spot for a fracture, associated with placement of a rivet for cable support, but also some evidence of what could be construed as a impact or puncture mark. (Almost impossible back there)

So, day or two wait now while they send some photos back to the manufacturer for warranty determination, and a few day wait for me to find out. Always been a fan of the Specialized brand, but now it's time to put them to the test. I'll be singing the praises if they come up with the goods, or drop them quicker than a steaming turd if they wipe their hands of me!

In the mean time, if you see an overweight guy, with a grey goatee, running around at snails pace, on a blue Malvern Star Capo Sport, just ring your bell or yell 'Rider Back!' as you pass, and ignore the cursing i'm releasing. Sad

I may have the good wheels and saddle on it, but it's not 1/2 the ride that the Roubaix is.

Quite interested in any other frame warranty issues people may have had with other manufacturers.

Cheers,
Pom

Pom

Back to top Go down

The "How well does the OEM support Warranty" thread? Empty Re: The "How well does the OEM support Warranty" thread?

Post  PeterO Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:15 am

thats some pretty bad luck there! Fingers crossed you get the warranty claim.

Any pics of said hole?
PeterO
PeterO

Back to top Go down

The "How well does the OEM support Warranty" thread? Empty Photos

Post  Pom Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:17 am

Hope the link works OK, but I've uploaded the damage photos to the photo bucket account.

https://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/ascot_catering/

Try Here

Pom

Back to top Go down

The "How well does the OEM support Warranty" thread? Empty Good News Update

Post  Pom Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:27 am

And for a good news update, the bike shop sent photos through to Specialized this morning, had a quick phone call to discus the general condition of the bike and discuss any potential impact damage, agreed to cover it under warranty, and they have already despatched a replacement frame.

Unfortunately they didn't have any 2009 Roubaix framesets, do did get in touch to confirm that a 2011 Roubaix Pro SL3 frame set would suffice!!! Laughing

Nice, nice replacement but does have the complication of having a BB30 bottom bracket and I'll need to pay for the adaptor. The bike shop will do the changeover, but I'll probably end up about $80 out of pocket. I'd consider that acceptable.

Huge thanks to the guys at Action Bicycles [Gympie Road - Chermside] for sorting this for me. They didn't sell me the Roubaix, but I did buy the Specialized 29er for the island from them. Small shop, but good service.

All going to plan the frame will be here Friday, get assembled on Saturday and be ready for the 4 peaks ride on Sunday!

Happy as a pig in..... slop. SmileSmile

Cheers, and GO Specialized!

Pom

Back to top Go down

The "How well does the OEM support Warranty" thread? Empty Re: The "How well does the OEM support Warranty" thread?

Post  ven2 Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:28 am

Phil, feel for you mate. It's got to suck when you fork out considerable $s, and think you have a top tier bike that you can trust your life to power down hills at 80kph. Better buy your daughter a freddo frog for being so observant Wink

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pom Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:35 am

She's hinting at a car when she finishes grade 12, so the freddo frog may not cut the mustard.

Now she's claiming to have "Saved my LIFE" and is upping the reward hour by hour. Now she's aware that I'm in for a frame upgrade, the $$$ are going through the roof. Might have been cheaper to buy that new bike.

Was a good pick up though, and very likely to have been a catastrophic failure on that wheel stay in the very near future.

Cheers,

Pom

Back to top Go down

Post  Dahlpad Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:20 pm

Phil,

Lucky save and good on #1D for picking it up. I'm going down now to check my Roubaix. Who knows, we might end up with a pigeon pair! (If only). It was a good result from Specialized. Still, it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Quality control?

Paul.

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterO Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:05 am

thats good to hear Phil. That is (was?) a really nice bike, and kudos to Action cycles (used to be Berreto years ago) for helping you out. Hope you get it up and running real soon.
PeterO
PeterO

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:13 am

Nice and appropriate outcome Phil (bummer about the adaptor cost though). I wonder who picking up cost of bar tape, cables, etc.
Will be keen to see the new frame.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

The "How well does the OEM support Warranty" thread? Empty 1,000 Thanks

Post  Pom Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:21 pm

The guys at Action Bike at Chermside have pulled out all stops to get a frame replaced under warranty, and delivered back to me as soon as they could.

So glad that Specialized came to the party with not only the warranty, but an upgrade. Then the team at Action cycles [Thanks Jamie] did their upmost to get the bike back to me ASAP, even though they didn't even sell it to me.

Check out the new wheels HERE

https://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/ascot_catering/

See you on the road! Wish I could delay my return to work to do a few more miles on it. Smile Smile

Cheers,

Pom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down