Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anzac Day ride.. Wed 25th

4 posters

Go down

Anzac Day ride.. Wed 25th Empty Anzac Day ride.. Wed 25th

Post  Onehundredandeighty Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:14 pm

For anyone that isn't doing the Anzac 25 at Lakeside and wants to do some hills in the Gold Coast hinterland, then this is the one for you.
A few of us are meeting at Canungra(early), probably 5:00am start and doing a last long ride before the 1000km Audax ride on the 5th of May.
There will be a few options to make the ride shorter if you wish. 1 hill, 2 hills, whatever you want. Starting at Canungra we then head along the flat to the west of Tamborine and then up Tamborine from the North, across the top, down the Goat Track back to Canungra and then up to O'Reillys, which is a nice long climb between 3-5% gradient with some little pinches towards the top.
Back down to head across towards Nerang and over to Mudgeeraba for the long climb to the 'Best of All Lookout' at the top of Springbrook at about 1000mts elevation.
Then descend down Pine Ck Rd and over to the Beechmont climb and then on up to Binna Burra. After a quick beer(that was after all the last climb), we make tracks back to the cars, all downhill of course. 265k with probably close to 5000mts, well, thats the plan anyway.

So if you are keen for all or just part of it... here's the course

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=377614

Over a week to think about it, so lets hope the weather is good to us.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Anzac Day ride.. Wed 25th Empty Re: Anzac Day ride.. Wed 25th

Post  ven2 Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Yup, I am in, at least for part of it. I've felt this year is about breaking out of the 'burbs' and into the nearby hills.
Will have a good look at your route Phil, and see which bit I'll best fit.

Last edited by BruceG on Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Anzac Day ride.. Wed 25th Empty Anzac Day ride.. Wed 25th

Post  PedroH Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:05 pm

Phil

James and a couple of guys from Logan Club are joining for 147.

PedroH

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Thats good Pete. The more the merrier.
The forecast looks ok at this stage, hoping it stays that way.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:50 am

Just clarifying best drive route to Canungra. Google gives:
exit 38 off M1, near Yatala
Stanmore Rd for 7k
left onto route 92 = Beaudesert Beenleigh Rd for 19k
left onto route 90 = Mundoolun Connection Rd (which becomes Beaudesert Nerang Rd) for 15k

Peter, which climbs are you and your mates doing the 147k over?
i.e.
1 Tamborine 44km, 500m
2 OReillys 70km, 800m
3 Springbrook (Repeater Station) 70km from Canungra to station, 950m
4 Binna Burra 55km from repeater station, 650m
25km from BB back to Canungra.

I'm curious about Climb3 views as I've never been up there, but am flexible and want to stay with other riders rather than solo any of it as I don't want to rely on GPS for shortcuts.

Last edited by BruceG on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Anzac Day ride.. Wed 25th Empty ANZAC DAY RIDE.. WED 25TH

Post  PedroH Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:58 am

Bruce

I may have misunderstood the course when I first looked at it. I am planning on bailing out after O'Reilly's. Phil mentioned that there was another bailout point at about 145 that put you back in Canungra so if that option is available I will take it. James and co. are in for about the same. I'll let the crazy and the 'certified hard' kick on for the 265. See you at dawn. Oh... Where are we meeting?

PedroH

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks Peter. I'm in for Tamborine and OReillys too. I mentioned to Phil today that if I had anything left in the tank afterwards, I could have a break, then drive to Mudgereeba, and meet up with them for the 30k ride to Springbrook repeater station,then coast back down to Mud on my own. However, I'm going to be a lot slower on the climbs than them, so we'll see how it pans out. Plus I'm still a little sore from Sat 144k, Sun 90k, Mon 85. Funny about that.

Ride start time from Canungra afaik is 5am. I'm factoring 1h20m for the drive, with ETA 4.40am. So up at 3am and ETD 3.20am.

See you all soon. Phil, please advise if ride start time has changed.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Sorry Peter, I should have got on here earlier, been flat out today.
Its a 5am start in the main street (Pine St) in Canungra, which is a bit over an hours drive from Nundah. The Dawn service will on down there at 5:30 in the main St, so I think we should meet up the road a bit away from the memorial. We'll see each others lights so it shouldn't be too hard.
Also, I think I made the mistake of telling you that Tamborine and O'Reillys then back to Canungra was 147k, when its actually 114k. If you added the climb up to Beechmont and return it would be 147k.
Anyway, see what you're up for after O'Reillys and take it from there.
See you in the morning ready to roll at 5. Bring spares, food, 2 x bottles, cash etc.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:48 pm

Another bonza bush ride today. Probably the best weather possible for doing a lot of climbing = cool and overcast.

A brief overview (cos I am too smashed to write at length)

Canungra was bustling when I got there at 4.30am, with lots of smartly dressed defence personnel getting ready for the dawn service. With nine sets of bright lights, we set off up the road for 30 minutes to the first climb, Tamborine Mountain. It felt like it averaged around 5% with some bits approaching 7-8%.

Once again, I was the weakest rider, and there was some seriously strong riders, particularly PeterH's mate, James, whose wheels didn't blow up today. Smile
Nevertheless, most were intending to do a 265km ride, so were pacing themselves enough for me to stay in touch, apart from the descents, when I continued to descend within my skill level and knowledge of the route (= zero).

We cruised across the top of Tambo enjoying the brilliant views. The descent down the "Goat Track" was technically challenging, with two hairpins. Glad we didn't climb that way, as it seemed definitely over 10% for maybe 4km.

Back at Canungra, I dumped my big light, and off we went on the 35km climb to O'Reillys. The average gradient was really enjoyable for me, probably around 3-4% on average, with some 10-12% pinches near the top. The views were absolutely fantastic, and there was heaps of wildlife to keep things interesting. A lot of great memories came flooding back to me of the many weekends of backpacking I did up there in the 1970s.
The thing that made the ride most enjoyable for me was the absolute absence of traffic on the way up. Maybe 6 cars passed us in 30km. We stopped for coffee and scones at the top, and thought how we were going to get down without getting frostbite. Phil secured newspaper for everyone a la TdF, and we were set. The ascending traffic was a lot heavier as we descended, and I felt for a pack of riders that were still on the way up. Their ride could not be as enjoyable as ours.
BTW, this time I didn't try and walk the four cattle grid crossings....and I didn't break bones or spokes Smile

Back at Canungra, I think I had 115km up. That was enough for me. Though I ended up driving the rest of the course to see how do-able it is.
- Mudgeereeba to Springbrook is probably ok, as it has a slope similar to O'Reillys. The view from the Repeater Station lookout is fantastic, and looks directly down into NSW. Byron Bay, Murwillumbah, Mt Warning, Spynx are all very in your face. Lyrebird Ridge Rd would be good to take back from the Repeater Station, but not to it.
- Springbrook to Beechmont is ok via Pine Creek Rd, Murwillumbah Nerang Rd, and Beechmont Roads. (I didn't drive from the Beechmont roundabout to Binna Burra, but the lads tell me it is ok). Though I would definitely not ride the opposite way up Pine Creek Rd. It is very steep. Also M N Rd goes on for some time - a bunch of rollies with false flats. If tired, it'd be disheartening.
Beechmont to Canungra is ok, though I'd probably find it tough going the opposite way.

Anyway, a very long day, but great riding company once again. Roll on Wivenhoe and Tyalgum.

Last edited by BruceG on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:21 am

Another great write up Bruce, I guess I'd bet 'fess up' and let people know our side of the story.
Well, as you say, it WAS fantastic weather for riding although the initial part of the descent off the top of O'Reillys was a bit chilly with only an undershirt and jersey on(the newspaper does come in handy, I've always maintained its about the only thing the Criminal Mail is good for!!)
Anyway, with Tina having only 4 hours sleep the night before and both our legs still suffering from the weekends climbing efforts, it was decided that 115k was going to be enough for the day, considering we both need to be VERY fresh for next weekends 1000, I think in hindsight it was a smart move.
Now some in the know might ask, "Roger is also doing the 1000 and he was willing to go on, why didn't it stop him?"
Well Roger is a FREAK when it comes to riding a bike!! He would NEVER let sore muscles and common sense get in the way of an opportunity for a few more hours on a bike!
I guess you can't have 'the legs' for every ride you go on so I'm not that disappointed. Having said that we're fairly sure either this course or a version of it is going ahead on the 26th May(Saturday). I did up a couple of options last night but we could go with anything really.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=384606
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=384617

They are essentially the same course with both only going to the Alpaca cafe on O'Reillys, but bypassing the streets through Nerang and taking Worongary Rd instead, but the second one has a nasty vertical wall on a road called The Panorama at the 100k mark, it also starts and finishes at Tamborine Village instead.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:57 am

When it comes to ultra riding Phil, no need to justify changes in plans. I thought it was wise not to push on when everyone's bodys are not in peak form. I also think 265k yesterday would have adversely impacted form for the 1000k. But I also wouldn't have been surprised if you cycled on.

I came across about 8 riders between Mud and Springbrook in the afternoon. The traffic was more regular, and there were lots of dills and tourists at the Repeater Station lookout. Makes you think twice that we're relying on them to drive around us safely. Though I presume earlier morning traffic is a different cohort to that from late morning.

Re Roger, I enjoyed his enthusiasm and get up and go attitude. There's not enough of it these days.

Re the new routes, one option for myself, is to meet you at Canungra after Tam and OR. And do Springbrook and Binna Burra. That'd be a 150k ride and a nice step up from my last two rides.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Anzac Day ride.. Wed 25th Empty ANZAC DAY RIDE.. WED 25TH

Post  PedroH Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Good write up Bruce. Canungra is such a great base for riding. Minimal traffic, rewarding climbs and great views. I feel like I learned a lot about cycling yesterday. Thanks to all for the inspiration.

PedroH

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:40 pm

Pete, looking forward to more bush rides with you. Am sure we'll both learn heaps, and enjoy the journey.
Cruising up OR with those views and wildlife rejuvenates the spirit like little else. There's something spiritual about it for me. It's amazing the things that stick in my mind.....like on the descent, I noted some big cow paddies on the road, and was looking for signs of bicycle tire tracks through them. Also the indifference of the dozen or so bush wallabies on the ascent still lingers - no sign of them on the descent, thankfully.

It's still all playing like a movie in my mind. I had a meeting at Suncorp Insurance this arvo on the 28th floor. I had trouble focusing, and kept looking out towards Lamington Plateau. Smile

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dahlpad Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:00 am

Ha ha Bruce. Yes another great writeup but the best of all was the cow pats sans tyre tracks! The things we think of! Ha Ha. The start times are all a bit early for me - I like my bed too much especially in the cold weather. I'm doing the Soldier's Honour thingo this Sunday and that is early enough as we are riding out from the big gun at 6.30am for an 8am start! I'll keep up to date with your rides from your great stories.

Paul.

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Anzac Day ride.. Wed 25th Empty Soldier's Honour ride

Post  PedroH Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:20 am

Paul what is the Soldier's Honour ride? What are the details?

PedroH

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:19 am

PedroH wrote:Paul what is the Soldier's Honour ride? What are the details?

It's one of the main road races for HPRW Peter. Goes clockwise around Lake Samonsvale, starting at 8am at Bullocky Rest on Forgan Rd.
SOme of the lads are riding out there from the gun at 630am, as I may if I don't find a more interesting ride. Though I was in two minds about racing last night, and it's now too late to get my rego in for Terry to handicap.

Route
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/87101975

________________________________________-

From the HPRW newsletter
RACING

* HPRW Winter Championship racing this Sunday 29th April will be our Soldiers Honour Handicap Race at Pine Dam.

Please note racing is on Sunday (not Saturday)!

Start time 8am. Start/Finish at Bullocky Rest, Forgan Road, Warner – registration from 7am. The course is around North Pine Dam – approx 45km.

Sorry, no visitors from other clubs for this race meeting – HPRW only.

Important - This is a handicap race – please register your intention to race with Terry Bourne before Friday, so he can arrange fair handicap start times for all riders.

* Full details on HPRW racing at http://www.hamiltonwheelers.com/

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:35 am

Anti-clockwise I think Bruce. It was the only time I've done it a couple of years ago, unless it's changed.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:50 am

Onehundredandeighty wrote:Anti-clockwise I think Bruce. It was the only time I've done it a couple of years ago, unless it's changed.

Yeah I did the plot anti-cw.
If interested, I'm heading down the Dome now, to loosen the legs before the rain gets here.
Will also send an email to Terry to see if not too late.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:54 am

I'll pass on the Dome, legs need a break.
Back into it on Sunday, weather permitting. Might drive up to Forgan Rd though.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Anzac Day ride.. Wed 25th Empty Soldier's Honour ride

Post  Dahlpad Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:17 am

Hello PedroH,

The Soldier's Honour is a handicap road race of approx 46km. You have to register with Terry Bourne by today so he can work out your handicap. It starts at 8am out at Strathpine (details on the HPRW website). The course is undulating and if you can get in with a good group you will have a pretty fair chance or so I am told. I find it is always good to work with a group as it becomes much more interesting. Otherwise it is just like an individual time trial which is hard work! We are riding out leaving the big cannon at 6.30am on Sunday. Worth having a go for your first road race. I understand it is a perpetual trophy so on trophy night you might be able to immortalize your self. It is HPRW members only. No burglars!
Hope this helps Peter. I'm having a go as I like road racing.

Paul.

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down