Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robbie McEwans Grand Fondo - any interest

5 posters

Go down

Robbie McEwans Grand Fondo  - any interest  Empty Robbie McEwans Grand Fondo - any interest

Post  RS Cyclist Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:13 pm

This is part if the Darren Smith Cycling classic on the Gold Coast ....A bit expensive at $109 entry (approx $1/km) but a good hit out for aspiring mountain goats and those who would be preparing for their European Col du 'blah blah's' trip
any interest in this?

Sunday 18th November

http://www.gcfoc.com.au/eventProgram.html#&panel1-15

RS Cyclist

Back to top Go down

Robbie McEwans Grand Fondo  - any interest  Empty Re: Robbie McEwans Grand Fondo - any interest

Post  ven2 Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:19 pm

Essentially, we did the Gran Fondo last Saturday Ric. You ought to come with us one day. It really is beautiful riding, some of the best in Qld according to many. You'd be able to do it comfortably. Just ride your own tempo, and stay comfortable. The views along the way and from the cafe at Binna Burra are very Euro Col- like.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Robbie McEwans Grand Fondo  - any interest  Empty Re: Robbie McEwans Grand Fondo - any interest

Post  RS Cyclist Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:21 pm

So....did you see Robbie? or the Orica Greenedge guys ......or did they just eat your dust ha ha

RS Cyclist

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:29 pm

haha. haven't seen Robbie. but have seen some of high profile tri coach Col Stewart's stable.
A few weeks ago we paced this girl for a few hundred meters, trying to get past her on a steeper section just before Binna Burra cafe...though she was running!!!
http://colstewart-tricoach.com/profile%201.html
The cyclists at the cafe are always easy on the eye, and happy to share their ride story. It's a natural selection thing....the fatties get deselected.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Bruce is right RS, you don't need to fork out a heap of cash for a ride you can do anytime. Much more peaceful too.

It's always a good hit out down there with plenty of ride options, although a tad early (November) as a build up for a European summer.
I think the record for the amount of Ascot guys riding down there on the same day is 3, ie. outside of the Brisbane metro area.
Can't see it being beaten for a while, though I do live in hope. Shocked

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:09 am

Ric, 180 is right. Everything about riding down that way is better. The roads have been unbelievably quiet. We're lucky to get 6 cars pass us on the way up Beechmont Rd and onto Binna Burra, and that really helps you relax into the ride and enjoy the surroundings.
The bitumen is a lot better than Mt Nebo or Mt Mee.
The views are just brilliant. And the Binna Burra cafe (and the O'Reillys one) are very well run. Everyone seems happy down there.

The only inconvenience is the early start to drive down, but car pooling makes it more bearable.
I know the general impression is Phil is some kind of supernatural col conquerer, which he is, but these rides are never like that.
It's more cycle touring style, taking in what's going on around you. Having a stop anywhere that seems interesting or offers a unique view, and regular re-group points. THere's no competitive macho BS about it.

Honestly mate, Martin and you would definitely love it. All of the guys would. You just have to change your mis-conception about how hard it is. I am still a weak climber, but these routes don't humiliate me.

COnsider at least coming once. I am sure it would not be your last time.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RS Cyclist Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:00 am

I would need to prove to myself that I could do 2.5 Mt Coot tha's in one ride before I committed .....is that the way you guys see it?

RS Cyclist

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:15 am

no Ric. The 28km from Canungra to Binna Burra is at no point as steep as Coot-tha.
It's around 3-5% for 12km, then levels out until a few kms just before Binna Burra where it is still not as steep as Coot-tha. It's very do-able. Of course you can make it harder by going faster Smile

From Tamborine Village to Tamborine Mtn (north western approach) is also much easier than Coot-tha, 7km at around 4-5%.
Tamborine Mtn down the Goat track towards Canungra (4.5km) is about as challenging as Coot-tha. Though I can get up it without stopping when fresh, so you should too seeing you're a greyhound. And Tamborine Mtn is a really pleasant place to ride through- all the homes have great gardens and a brilliant view is never far away.

Anyway, it's so much more scenic and devoid of traffic, that you just relax and enjoy the ride much more than the regular AC rides. I'd much rather ride down there than out to Samford or Mt Nebo Rd. I also prefer it to crit racing. You really feel like you are getting a great nature fix. Though I accept the drive down and back needs to be negotiated with spouses. Smile

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RS Cyclist Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:52 am

So ......Ok I'll give it a go ......but we need to set a date perhaps since we are now off topic should we start a new thread?
I think Canungra Binna-Burra unless there is something easier ha ha (it's all relative).....What time do you normally leave BrisVegas....4.30am?
If three normally go and I go we could break the record!!

RS Cyclist

Back to top Go down

Post  MartinW Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:53 am

I have ordered an 11-28 cassette so anything can happen! tongue
MartinW
MartinW

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:53 am

Great news guys, we'll set a date and get it sorted.
I'm out for Robbie's Gran Fondo anyway as we're doing this the day before...

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=442906

The MTB might get a run on this one also.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:03 am

Also, if anyone is up for a midweek training ride, this is what we're doing on the 13/14th Nov.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=461406

About a third of it is dirt road so I'm definately opting for the 29'er with appropriate tyres.

Overnight motel stop in Tenterfield, meal, get on the piss, whatever, then ride different route back next day.
Self supported, ride as a group.

The more the merrier.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:46 am

MartinW wrote:I have ordered an 11-28 cassette so anything can happen! tongue
Thats a shame Martin, I've got one here in the box, as well as one on order, you could have taken it off my hands.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:08 pm

Onehundredandeighty wrote:Great news guys, we'll set a date and get it sorted.
I'm out for Robbie's Gran Fondo anyway as we're doing this the day before...

What's happening this weekend, apart from Lakeside and the metrosexual rides?
I'm up for northern NSW. Binna Burra and Springbrook might have a bit more traffic due to school hols and queenie's birthday.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:22 pm

I'm out for Saturday.. AND, might be slightly dodgy for Sunday. But am keen to have a crack at whatever's on.
Will have to make it a 'late Sat call' on that one.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RS Cyclist Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:16 pm

On the Monday I'm doing a 50k ride with some mates which will start from Brackenridge and go toward and around Samford somehow. This will be a relatively slow social ride but you are all welcome just let me know and I can give you the address .....probably a 6.00 or 6.30 start...

RS Cyclist

Back to top Go down

Robbie McEwans Grand Fondo  - any interest  Empty Did the Grand Fondo today

Post  smithsr Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:56 am

I did the ride today with my son. Had a good ride even with the rain. I didn't see any Ascot guys but caught up with Ian Murdoch for a bit. He was pleased to have gotten Robbie McEwen's signature on his jersey.
Rainy start but ended up being a great day. The ride across Tamborine was unreal with misty fog and visibility down to 50-100m.

There were huge numbers of flats today. One person in our start group flatted at the roundabout 100m from the start. I thought I would have a clear run, but flatted just before the start of the goat track from Mt Tamborine to Canungra. I was so pleased it was then and not discovered during the GT descent which required careful riding in the wet.

The climb to Mt Tamborine from Oxenford was a tough one, reminded me more of the goat track from Canungra rather than the ride up from the Albert River valley.

BTW, Andrew McFarlane acquitted himself well in the Darren Smith on Saturday. A brutal, brutal pace was set by the OGE train with Luke Durbige and McEwen eventually going 1 & 2.
smithsr
smithsr

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:21 pm

Scott, I had forgotten about the Gran Fondo this morning. Tina and I met at Canungra at 530a for a ride up to Binna Burra. I had been wondering what the event was all the cars with bikes were going to on the M1.

On the way back from BB, we got to the Beechmont Rd roundabout to catch the lead groups going through. I was clapping the 2nd group, and a guy yelled out g'day Bruce. It was Stuart Neden who many of AC know. He is around 43yo and does Coot-tha backside in 7:15 or thereabouts.

After watching a few groups go, we headed carefully back down to Canungra, and passed all the sad and sorry faces heading up.
One fit looking guy had cramped really bad, and was in the ditch in agony.

Amazingly, we didn't get rained on at all this morning, but I was drenched in sweat with the humidity and trying to not hold Tina up too much.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum