Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Well that was Tuesday

4 posters

Go down

Well that was Tuesday Empty Well that was Tuesday

Post  Dahlpad Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Well? Waddia think? Was it hard? Was it easy? Was it boring? Was it great!? Predictably, I will start running off at the mouth again and say it was the best training we have done in yonks but that is typical of me who always manages to park-in and not do too much. Still this is a democracy and I have a right to be heard. The real workers like Phil, PaulW, Grant, that B Grader in the black and white striped jersey and dare I say it - Michael - who continues to impress with his ability to work hard even after the sprints - these riders get a well deserved accolade for doing the hard yards. The most courageous man I thought was Glenn on his fixie - need I say more! My one little effort proved my undoing. We were coming up to the end of the pursuit and were in the straight with our target firmly held in view about a hundred metres or so ahead. I uncharacteristically found myself in the lead and in a fit of wild ill-judged hyped-up foolishness shouted at everyone to "come on, lets go - lets get them in the straight!'' Well I lasted about fifty of those metres and then promptly blew up. Fortunately, wiser and more experienced riders held their nerve and continued on for another half lap and finished the job properly. Still, it was a lesson learned but really exciting for all that. I'm sure everyone has a story to tell so just remember, this is a democracy so lets hear your impressions. What was it like in the breakaway group? I thought the format was good. The mix of elimination (points race style) and the pursuit was pretty good. I don't think anyone had time to get bored. It's a pity I had to leave early. The barbecue was over by the time I got there but they did keep some cold snags, meat and salad for me. Oh and by the way, my ride down to Nundah on the bike track took 25 minutes solo. The ride home with PaulW took 15 minutes - and he always seemed to have to wait for me in spite of my best efforts(!) Anyway, no Gateway for me tomorrow. I will be doing Mt Coot-tha repeats from 3pm.
Paul

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Well that was Tuesday Empty Re: Well that was Tuesday

Post  ven2 Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:03 pm

The C2 group (+BruceE) in the pursuit training were doing a revolving paceline, and pace varied 37-41. It was a bit sloppy so draft effect was compromised, and we lost Stewie. Further, if everyone is peeling off as soon as they get to the front, the definition of a revolving paceline, then there's no opportunity for one rider to do more of the work. And those spending more time on the front are leaving the left hand column exposed to wind longer.

IMO, with a smaller number of riders I don't think a revolving paceline achieves top speed. Everyone has different lactate thresholds, and the speed of a revolving paceline will be reduced to that of the slowest rider because everyone is expected to do equal work. Further, there's less draft benefit when there's only 2 or 3 in the recovery line.

It is more efficient to let the lead rider spend as much time on the front as they are comfortable with, then peel to the left and drop back quick and tuck in behind a line of 5 or 6. This way, stronger guys can choose to spend more time on the front, and when they peel off they drop back quick to the back of the one line, and have a longer recovery.

Anyway, it was an improvement on the training of the last 2 years; but still we have to get very clear about training specifically for racing. That means discovering what speed you can do on your own and in a small group, and for how long, without blowing up.
If you don't know that, then you have no idea how to break and hold it. You'll blow up and then say breaking is too hard.

OK, enough of this, hi ho hi ho, it's off to work I go.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GD Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:25 am

Glad your enjoying them Paul, The object for me doing these rides is to mix it up and see what we can do. The time to blow up and still recover for the weekend, See how far your legs or lungs can go. Try that breakaway you have been wanting to try but are not to sure it will work, or just sit in an see what you can do in a sprint.
One thing I am always interested is to see how quickly I can recover. Go nuts for a few laps, sit in for a few, then repeat!

GD
GD

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:25 pm

BruceG wrote:

It is more efficient to let the lead rider spend as much time on the front as they are comfortable with, then peel to the left and drop back quick and tuck in behind a line of 5 or 6. This way, stronger guys can choose to spend more time on the front, and when they peel off they drop back quick to the back of the one line, and have a longer recovery.

Anyway, it was an improvement on the training of the last 2 years;
I think this is much better than the two lines for the exact reasons mentioned. IN FACT, why do we even attempt that sort of dual paceline anyway.
You actually only see it in a 'pro' breakaway, not sure that it even gets a run most A Grade races.
Personally, I would much rather a 'decent' recovery in a single pace line. It just seems to me that you're 'working' ALL the time in a revolving/2 line group.
And anyway, whats the worst thing that can happen if we TRY it?

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum