Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I don't even know what to say to this.

5 posters

Go down

I don't even know what to say to this. Empty Re: I don't even know what to say to this.

Post  Onehundredandeighty Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:24 pm

saw that this arvo.......

Fu*king appalling is a description that springs to mind!!

A direct result of the decision handed down to the concrete truck driver that 'killed' the young violinist at Kenmore.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

I don't even know what to say to this. Empty Evasive action

Post  MarkMc Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:44 am

Hmm, I got run off the road yesterday by a gentleman towing a boat. Nearly took me out with the 4WD so I moved into the gutter and then realised he was towing a boat and I was about to get smashed. Took a dive to the left onto the footpath. Lost some bark off my backside but still breathing. Right at the moment I kind of like the old testament view to punishment! Not one kind soul stopped and I don't have a camera so no number plate. Will be investing in a couple of the cheaper ones to leave permanently on the commuter. After looking at that story I guess I won't worry about the follow up from the police.

MarkMc
Admin

Back to top Go down

I don't even know what to say to this. Empty Re: I don't even know what to say to this.

Post  smithsr Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:05 am

Hmm Brisbane story picked up by the SMH. Where is the glorious CM newshound in all this?
smithsr
smithsr

Back to top Go down

Post  GD Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:24 am

smithsr.. it was prob that twat driving the car.

Sorry to hear Mark, yep I can see soon that people will start taking it into there own hands, since the police obviously aren't going to do anything. not sure if thats a good thing or not?..
GD
GD

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:37 am

Bad news Mark.
If more cyclists have cameras on their bikes, even IF our wonderful police/judicial system doesn't use the evidence they produce, then the motorists that it will affect most, MAY think about what they do before doing it!!

Scotty, I wouldn't trust a 'wet behind the ears' CM journo to do anything! They'd rather sit on the bottom of Cootha and clock cyclists going over the speed limit rather than focus on another section of the community putting peoples lives at risk.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:09 pm

The hypocrisy is that James Murdoch, the Deputy COO of News Limited and a major shareholder, the man most instrumental in forming Team Sky, has been an avid road cyclist for decades. An old mate of mine, also a keen cyclist, is a close friend of James.

And yet, there he is, overseeing an empire that wittingly encourages maiming and killing Australian cyclists.

I wonder how the Murdochs would react, if James was put in a wheelchair for life due to an ignorant motorist disinhibited by News Limited whipping up of 'war' on cyclists.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

I don't even know what to say to this. Empty Driver didn't have a clue

Post  MarkMc Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:58 am

Quick update, can't be 100% certain but spoke to a gentleman who was towing the same model boat back from the boat show at a similar time of the afternoon.   Rang him up and asked if he'd been displaying his boats at the boat show and if he had been towing one back that afternoon, turns out he had.  I went onto say that I had seen a bloke towing one of those boats run a cyclist off the road and asked him if he knew anything about it.  The old bloke was absolutely devastated and  honestly horrified to think that it might have been him.  

I'm not sure whether to be happy about the fact that it doesn't appear to be an attack on a cyclist or really worried that he didn't see me at all.    Might be time to go back to my old slower, safer route and get off the main roads.  

GD any recommendations for cheap cameras?  I can't see me using a GoPro to it's full advantage

MarkMc
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:57 am

I think one of the issues with cameras is having enough battery life and/or card space to capture your whole ride.
I guess if you're doing short'ish commutes then it may be okay. Or the alternative is turning it on when you are going along busier roads or dodgy sections. I realise shit can happen anywhere really but you'd have a fair idea where to use it.
Then another issue may be, if you 'capture' an incident, would it be accepted as evidence by police, depending on how damning the footage is.
Still, like I said before, the more motorists are aware riders are likely to have cameras, the more chance there is of them not 'coming into contact' with cyclists.
The bottom line is though, that having to rely on cameras as a form self defence

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:01 am

Sorry, hit the wrong key.
Anyway, as I was saying, it would be FAR better if people would just 'get along' with each other rather than all the agro that this country is so good at dishing out.
Quite pathetic really.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GD Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:54 am

Wow Mark, I think that is a pretty good outcome. Being blind is better than being a arrogant A hole, the best thing about that is now he will prob give cyclists a wider birth, he may also pass this along to friends ect, and even if one listens well thats pretty good.

As for a camera, mate try ebay and see if you can get a GoPro Hero2, they are the last model before the latest and still have great footage. Then you can either run video and like 180 says if the ride is to long just turn the camera on in the dodgy bits, or alternatively put the camera on continuous photo mode. say 3 seconds. Then every 3 seconds you get a photo. Not ideal for capturing the action but it will be enough to get a number plate. Also for $200 there area these --> Camera <-- never seen them used but they look small. Also try Contour Roam, they are a GoPro alternative although a bit heavy they are generally cheaper.

GD
GD

Back to top Go down

I don't even know what to say to this. Empty car crash camera

Post  MarkMc Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:04 pm

It's a pity they don't have something like thiscar crash camera. Runs on a continuous loop. A small water proof version would be ideal for commuting cyclists. I'm kind of surprised there isn't one out there already.

MarkMc
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum