Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Individual Performance Metrics

3 posters

Go down

Individual Performance Metrics Empty Individual Performance Metrics

Post  ven2 Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:12 am

We all perceive other riders as good, bad, or so so, based on anecdotal observations of their riding here and there.
However, real data leaves nowhere to hide; and will be helpful in knowing what to expect from team mates in races and on longer road rides. Regularly timing various metrics is the most objective approach to tracking performance changes.

I'd suggest the following metrics are the most conveniently repeated for AC riders; and I'll be regularly tracking mine.
I'll also be using them as a gauge of overtraining and the effectiveness of current training.

Performance Metrics
max speed in a 50-100 meter sprint - last 4 weeks 51, before crash 53.
fastest Nundah lap time - 42.1kph, 1:42 m:ss
5 laps (~10 min TT) - 37.6kph
10 laps (~20 min TT) - 35.7kph
30 minute TT - 34.5kph
1 hr TT - 33.3kph

My Current Training
I am in a rebuild phase post injury and infections, where the general protocol is to build low intensity volume, then cut volume as intensity is increased.

I've been through 3-4 weeks volume building, 150-550km/wk
Last week, I cut distance and shifted to TTs (10,20,30,60 mins) at higher intensities for lactate threshold gains.
Next week, I'll introduce short intervals (20, 30, 60 seconds).
In 2-3 weeks I'll add maximal sprints, jumps, and high intensity hill climbs.

3-6 mth Goals
I think realistic personal goals are
max sprint 55kph
5 lap TT 40kph
1hr TT 36.
I'd also like to do sub 11m for Coot-tha backside with <=10% bodyfat.
A paramount goal is also to cut my bodyfat from ~20 to 10%, but I've struggled with this due to thyroid issues courtesy of chronic fatigue syndrome.

If anyone feels like sharing, I think we'd all be interested and it will help us evolve our training efficiency and effectiveness....less junk hours, less overtraining, more performance gains, more energy for spouses etc, better overall head space, healthier immune system, less binge eating (and drinking).

It will be interesting to see what Paul Butler has to add.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Individual Performance Metrics Empty Re: Individual Performance Metrics

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:13 am

Very interesting stuff there Bruce, I would be keen to do some recording of times for those disciplines and then further down the track.
Even though my focus for June/July isn't this type of thing but I'm guessing it all compliments each type of training (not that my cycling has ANY sort of organisation to it), it would be good to see where I'm at.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:11 am

Appreciate you are building for the Euro trip and audax stuff Phil.
So LSDs through the hills is good prep.

IMHO, your climbing would benefit significantly from working towards 10-13% bodyfat....though I haven't noticed what your current % is. I also think core strength and flexibility would be a priority for you, to keep your spine, hips, and knees in good shape.

Performance gains in rides under 30 minutes are lost significantly after a few weeks, which I've just demonstrated.
Whereas LSD rides are all about building a denser capillary network through heart and skeletal muscle, increasing muscle and liver glycogen storage, and improving fatty acid mobilization as a primary energy substrate. These gains resist short term degradation better.

Nevertheless, it will be good to have times to look back at in 3,6mths, or 1,2,3,10 years. A chart plot could be devised to see whether it is short, medium, or long performance that is best resisting the march of time.

Incidentally, my 60TT above was at midday yesterday, and 30TT was 6am this morning on a wet track. Warm up was two laps at 28 to 33kph. Both were in significant winds, but that's pretty much the norm with Nundah. Will do another 30TT this arvo. Am thinking my bars need to come down, but will have a talk to Paul B about it. Currently I have a 7.6cm drop between saddle and bars.

Onehundredandeighty wrote:Very interesting stuff there Bruce, I would be keen to do some recording of times for those disciplines and then further down the track.
Even though my focus for June/July isn't this type of thing but I'm guessing it all compliments each type of training (not that my cycling has ANY sort of organisation to it), it would be good to see where I'm at.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:55 am

What do you think is the best way of measuring your body fat % levels Bruce?

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:23 pm

All body fat measurements you can do at home have a high level of variance.
Nevertheless, I'd go with skinfold calipers when trained well to use them. I have a set if you want to mess with them for a few weeks.
Body fat scales have improved a lot in the last 5 years, but results still vary due to dehydration, diet, stress, fatigue, and arousal levels.
I've got an expensive set of Tanita's from 5 years ago, and they are all over the place from day to day...though the weight measurement is pretty good.

Personally, I just focus on waist circumference, rather than body fat %. the two are correlated highly and the medical science supports it.
My circumference goal is 84cm and that will approximate 10% bodyfat. I'm currently 96cm.

Impressive effort with the 15mTT tonight Phil. Would be interesting to see how others fare with this stuff.
To reiterate, I think these TTs are fine to be done with a rolling start. You might be able to get your averages from garmin connect for the laps or time of interest.

I was feeling pretty empty this arvo. Did 33.4 for the 15TT. And that last lap I took off too hard, sustained 43 to the end of the S's, then died before recovering in the straight to finish around 40kph. Didn't get the average. Will time it in future and manually calculate the speed.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dahlpad Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:13 pm

BruceG? Sports Scientist? What? What should we call you? This is fantastic stuff. I'm exactly like PhilM. There is absolutely no structure to my training. I think I have done well if I manage a 20 min tempo session doing a lap in turn. 500km a week? I would be dead. Chronic fatigue? I really don't think you know the meaning of the words! After reading these interesting posts, I am keener than ever to get started with PaulB so I can get some structure or targets set up and have something to aim for. If I delay much longer you lot are going to be leaving me dropping off the back! And I have absolutely no idea what effects this or that type of training has on my blood capilo thingos or liver fatty whatsits or body fat %. You will be able to fit into anything Paul tells you to do. I will have to build up gradually as I have not been doing anything like the Ks you have. Talk about having to get the finger out! Oh where are my pills! An orange perhaps? If all else fails I'm back on my banana smoothies! See you tomorrow.

Paul

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum