Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poll- Your ideal long ride distance

3 posters

Go down

What do you think the ideal 'Long ride' distance is for you?

Poll- Your ideal long ride distance I_vote_lcap14%Poll- Your ideal long ride distance I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
Poll- Your ideal long ride distance I_vote_lcap43%Poll- Your ideal long ride distance I_vote_rcap 43% 
[ 3 ]
Poll- Your ideal long ride distance I_vote_lcap29%Poll- Your ideal long ride distance I_vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
Poll- Your ideal long ride distance I_vote_lcap0%Poll- Your ideal long ride distance I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Poll- Your ideal long ride distance I_vote_lcap14%Poll- Your ideal long ride distance I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

Poll- Your ideal long ride distance Empty Poll- Your ideal long ride distance

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:31 am

Thought I'd have a go at doing the forum's first poll, so here goes.
Basically what the question means is how far you think you would like to ride in one go, based on your current experience.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Poll- Your ideal long ride distance Empty Re: Poll- Your ideal long ride distance

Post  ven2 Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Interesting and appropriate topic Phil.
I think what you are going to find is you and your audax mates are a rare breed, like 99.5 percentile stuff. (only 0.5% of the population could match you). It's lonely at the top, huh? Very Happy

I accept most of the AC guys have spouses, family, and work to balance with the ideal long distance ride. You are blessed in having a mate who shares your passion. I think we all know some of the guys struggle to get out for a ride.....that was made real clear to me recently by one of the wives.

This year, I feel the time is right to explore the environment outside Brisburbia.
So I am up for some 130-200km rides. And who knows. Maybe I could manage 250k between 5am and 9pm - but what would I do for the next 2 days Smile

How my body will handle it is still an unknown. Stiff joints and inflammation may set my optimal distance.
Nevertheless, our inaugural 3.5 peaks ride Smile didn't knock me around as much as I thought it might.

After I've done the Gold Coast hinterland and northern NSW, Wivenhoe, and Sunny Coast, maybe my focus will change for some time.
At the end of the day, my goals are to stay healthfully independent for as long as I can. I took up cycling to help me in that goal.
There's a balance between stressing the body optimally to keep it healthy and strong, and overstressing it.
My ultimate goal is to straddle that balance....and hopefully be independently mobile and strong, for as long as I am on planet earth, no matter how long or short a period that may be.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Poll- Your ideal long ride distance Empty Re: Poll- Your ideal long ride distance

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Well said Bruce. I agree that I may be in a position to be able to spend a bit more time riding my bike than most of our group but this is the reason I posted this poll. To see what other guys/gals in AC, assuming they're going to participate in it, think is their 'limit', for want of a better term.
It's something I've found really quite bemusing in the past, in that a fair few cyclists that I have spoken to, whether I know them well or not, have been totally astounded that someone would want to spend a whole day(or more), on their bike!! And this is from people who obviously love to ride their bike.
Maybe they just don't want to ride it for as long as me or my mates!! AND, just quietly, we pale into insignificance compared to some 'nutcases'!!!

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/raam2.php?N_webcat_id=2

Shocked affraid Evil or Very Mad

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Sorry, forgot to add, if at any time you want to go ride in Nth NSW, SC Hinterland or somewhere equally as scenic, I'll go as well.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Also forgot to add that I put a 5 day limit on the poll so it doesn't drag on for too long.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Poll- Your ideal long ride distance Empty Anzac Day ride.. Wed 25th

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:50 pm

Just a bit of info on the ride on Anzac Day.
The ride has a couple of options early on, in that if you ride from the start and over Tamborine and up to O'Reillys and back down to Canungra, it's 112kms with probably 2000mts elev.
OR, if you do that PLUS ride up to the roundabout at Beechmont(not to Binna Burra), then return, thats 147km with about 2500mts.

And, some of the best riding and scenery you will ever get in this part of the country!!

Hope to see some of you make it.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PedroH Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:09 pm

Bruce - like you I was surprised that the 3.5 peaks ride didn't smash me too badly. I reckon my ideal distance at the moment is about the same as you. somewhere in the 130-180km or 6-8hr range.

Phil - that's about what I am up for on Anzac Day. 147km with that sort of vertical would be an achievement and a good incremental step forward for me.

Race Across America is for the insane. Every cyclist should see the film Bicycle Dreams. It's an inspiring and disturbing insight into the world of ultra endurance.

This sort of riding is a really good training base for the winter MTB Marathons (The Epic, Logan's Run etc...) because the durations and verticals are similar. I'll just have to do more MTB to get technical skills back closer to the events.

PedroH

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:20 pm

Yeah, agree Pete.
Good to hear you are keen for the Canungra ride. I think it will be one of those epic 'tough' days, no matter what distance you do. Hard, but rewarding.
That RAAM DVD is a cracker isn't it? To think I actually believed I might want to do that one day!! What an IDIOT...
I know it was on Franks radar, and it wouldn't have surprised me if he actually got there one day.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down