Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride?

+4
ThomasR
Pom
ven2
Onehundredandeighty
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride?

Post  ThomasR Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:28 am

Thanks Phil for setting this ride up. cheers I enjoyed it very much although cursed affraid the Goat Track a bit where it got slippery, muddy and norrow.
Cheers Thomas

ThomasR

Back to top Go down

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride?

Post  Onehundredandeighty Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:45 am

No worries Thomas, great that you could come along. Got back to Nundah at about 12.30 after coming over the Gateway.
I struggled with some adductor cramping in the last 20kms(Got a 'double' a couple of times, both legs at once), still it was probably self inflicted, going in to the ride dehydrated!! pale
My Garmin had us doing 2262mts of ascent over 133kms.
The elevation profile graph definately showed 3 peaks, can't even claim a 'half' in there.
A shame the Pei Rd was closed, we'll have to do it again when its opened back up.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:48 am

Epic ride. Thanks Phil. Would be interested in garmin climb data to see how much it varies from biketoaster.

Brilliant efforts from Andrew MacF and Mark to conquer Mayfield Rd; Pom for never falling off the back on a new ride with less than ideal bike set up, and Julian for always being near the front on his heavy Surly commuter.

And of course, PaulD, who never waned, and is now the "complete rider".
I don't think I'd take my roadie up the Goat Track again in a hurry. But seems that's going to be the only option for many months, if you want to get from Samford to Nebo.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:55 am

Yes Bruce, the graph looks pretty much the same without the little 'spike' which was Glorious also the Gateway bump.
BikeRoute had elevation at 1600 +, but I had it at 2200+.
Sorry, I don't have the technological capacity or know how to post my Garmin file! Crying or Very sad

Thanks for coming along guys, it was a tougher ride than I thought it'd be. We'll have to keep challenging ourselves with other loops.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pom Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:43 am

Great ride, although about at the limit of what I can muster up! Certainly a test for the new ride, but I was quite pleased with the way it handled, descended, and the fact that you just can't make that frame flex! (Well, with my legs anyway)

I must be old, as I've got my Sports Tracks set up in feet, but it shows 6,309 feet of climbing, the Garmin shows 2,151m.

Thanks to Bruce for sharing his secret 'potion' that cleared the cramping that I had starting at the base of Coot-tha.

Did some measurements when I got back and compared them to my previous bike fit - had to make a few adjustments, but really need to get the fit re-done.

I'll try and host the garmin and Sportstracks file on photo bucket and see how I go as there doesn't appear to be an option to attach to a post?

Thanks all, and maybe another challenge when I'm next back?

Cheers,
Pom

Pom

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:37 pm

Some ideas for future rides of a vertical bent.

Two Peaks
- Nundah, Wynn Rd, Clear Mtn, Samford, Keperra, Gap, Coot-tha, CBD, Nundah
- Nundah, Nebo Glorious Nundah

Three Peaks

- Nundah Gap Nebo Glorious Gap Coot-tha loop, cbd, Nundah

Guess who cramped in both adductors an hour after getting home.
I put it down to when finally resting supine after a big ride, blood and fluid redistributes from the legs into the upper body.
If in negative fluid balance, the legs become underperfused, and metabolic waste cannot be moved from the muscles as effectively, and delayed onset cramps result.

Keep in mind the recommendation is to keep taking fluids and electrolyte after you finish your ride. The recommended volume is 1.5x net fluid losses during the ride (which requires weighing yourself pre and post ride, and considering all fluid and food eaten, and toilet stops).
As a short cut, if you know your rough hourly sweat rate, take that amount every hour for 3-4 hours. 50-100% of it could be electrolyte, which will reduce the amount pee'd off.

edit:
The electrolyte formula I make up emulates that of seasoned athletes' sweat in the sub tropics, and has 6% carb solution as cordial.
Formula is
To a 1 litre bottle of Cottee's cordial concentrate, add:

- 19 grams of sea salt, blended in blender if rocks.
- 7 grams of Diet Rite Lite Salt or similar (this is widely available at supermarkets - it has around 50% potassium chloride and same of sodium chloride).
- 3 Rennies antacid tablets, pulverized with mortar and pestle. (These are a source of calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate, both lost in significant quantities in sweat).

- optional BCAA and beta alanine amino acids can be added.

for final drinking solution, mix 1 part of this cordial solution with 9 parts water

If you want to have a slower release carbohydrate, use Cottee's diet cordial with no added sugar, and add
25-60 grams of maltodextrin powder to whatever volume of made up cordial you will drink each hour.
25 grams yields 100 Calories
60 grams 240 Calories.

I have lots of maltodextrin, BCAA and beta alanine if anyone wants to experiment.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride? - Page 2 Empty Bikefit for POM

Post  Dahlpad Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:43 am

Hey Phil,
Re your bikefit issues. I have paid over $200 to have a bike fit and it was a disaster. I asked Paul Butler (our coach) and he not only set the bike up but my shoes as well all for $40. It is now a perfect fit. Paul can meet you down at the Nundah track or wherever and follows you round. He assesses your riding action and adjusts everything accordingly. And for $40 bucks you can't beat that. Paul's phone number is 0403771034. He will arrange a time to meet you. Hope this helps.
PaulD

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pom Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:56 am

Thanks for the heads up. Bruce had given me his number as well.

I'll wait till I get back and get it done. The last one I had done was fine, and I really should have got it done prior to leaving on a 100K+ ride, but needless to say, was a bit keen to try out the new beast!

I'll also be putting the 105 group set on the old Malvern Star, so will probably have 2 to get done.

Cheers,

Pom

Back to top Go down

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride? - Page 2 Empty Bikefit for POM

Post  GTW Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:26 am

Hello from GTW this is my first post. Have been reading all the posts with great interest. Pity i don't know who is who.

I am also interested in having Paul Butler have a look at my bike set up. I understand his number is 0403 771034. I intend to talk to Paul tomorrow afternoon at training.
I assume training is on tomorrow?. If not can someone let me know.

GTW

GTW

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:46 pm

Hey GTW, pity we don't know who you are. Smile
Yes training happened this afternoon with Paul.
Yes that's his phone number.

GTW wrote:Hello from GTW this is my first post. Have been reading all the posts with great interest. Pity i don't know who is who.

I am also interested in having Paul Butler have a look at my bike set up. I understand his number is 0403 771034. I intend to talk to Paul tomorrow afternoon at training.
I assume training is on tomorrow?. If not can someone let me know.

GTW

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride? - Page 2 Empty WHO IS GTW

Post  GTW Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Graeme Woolnough

GTW

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:40 pm

Hey PaulD and anyone else, are you interested in a one peak ride this Sunday. I'm going solo if no one else is interested.

Currently, either

1. Nundah, Wynn Rd, Northern ascent of Clear Mtn, back to Eaton's Crossing Rd, Albany Creek, Warner, Petrie, Scarborough. is around 105km.

2. Nundah, A. Creek, Eaton's Crossing Rd, southern ascent of Clear Mtn, then a northern descent to Wynn Rd, then a northern ascent if desired (so two ascents one up each side), Wynn Rd, Warner, Petrie, Scarborough. probably about 85km.

Would be good to go early again, but maybe 530am. back at C Word at 830-930am.
I may also try and hook up with Cycleogical as they pass through Petrie, around 7am.

One day, I'd like to stop up at Clear Mtn for coffee/breaky, and absorb the inspiring vista. The sunrise was spectacular last week.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:46 pm

BruceG wrote:Some ideas for future rides of a vertical bent.

Two Peaks
- Nundah, Wynn Rd, Clear Mtn, Samford, Keperra, Gap, Coot-tha, CBD, Nundah
- Nundah, Nebo Glorious Nundah

Three Peaks

- Nundah Gap Nebo Glorious Gap Coot-tha loop, cbd, Nundah

Some good ideas there Bruce, there are quite a few options in that area really, even with the road closures (Glorious, Goat Track).
Bunya Rd off Eatons Xing Rd also offers good options around there. PaulDubya will testify for Mailmans Track and Bygotts Rd as well. Laughing

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride? - Page 2 Empty Sunday 1 April Ride

Post  MartinW Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:58 pm

BruceG wrote:Hey PaulD and anyone else, are you interested in a one peak ride this Sunday. I'm going solo if no one else is interested.

Bruce, I'm interested though my fitness is a bit crap but I don't mind getting dropped.
MartinW
MartinW

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:03 pm

Yeah, doing a Clear Mtn northern ascent, then Bunya Rd, Mailman's, Samford, Keperra, Coot-tha would be about right.
Agree with PaulW that Bunya Rd Mailmans Track would be a nice change.

I may also slot in an early morning Nebo Glorious Coot-tha soon....park at and start from Slaughter Falls, Coot-tha, then peel off to Glorious via Simpson's Rd.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Hey Martin. I think it will be me saying to you from behind, "yeah, I'm really not a climber", as we grind up Clear Mtn. Smile

Anyway, if you have a preference re start time, or want to meet along Rode Rd instead of at the Nundah Gun, then let me know.
We could also do Gympie and Albany Creek Rds, which I believe is shorter than Rode and Old Northern Rd.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MartinW Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:57 am

I am a slug in the morning but I can push myself for 0530 start.
I'm fine for any start location but the corner of Rode and Gympie Roads would seem logical from my understanding of the ride.
MartinW
MartinW

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:10 am

Martin, ok I am cool w 530a at that cnr. will confirm with GPS that gympie rd Albany ck rd are shorter.

edit:
Gympie Rd and Albany Crk Rd route is 40 metres shorter than Rode and Old Northern Rds; and has 1 less metre of climbing.
Suppose they could differ a bit on traffic lights and shoulder.

If anyone is interested in scheduling a coffee or breaky at Clear Mountain, the restaurant Mandy's on the Mountain is open from 7am 7 days a week. The timing might be better as the days shorten, and ride starts are move to 6-630am.
http://clearmountainlodge.com.au/restaurant

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride? - Page 2 Empty March 31, April 1

Post  ven2 Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:25 am

These are my rides for the weekend. Others are welcome to be a wheel for me to suck, but let me know beforehand.

SATURDAY
Coot-tha and River Loop, 68km, 420m
Start: 530am, Nundah Gun
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/79278533/

SUNDAY
Clear Mountain, Forgan Rd, Petrie, Scarborough, 93km, 420m
Start: 530am, Nundah Gun
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/79259856

I don't know the AC ride route on Sunday (Samford Eaton's Crossing Brighton), but want to include more climbing in my training schedule for the next few months, and may turn around at Wynn Rd and do a Clear Mtn northside climb in addition to the southside climb.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:27 am

Hope all this week's crap happened to me today, so tomorrow will be fine.

- had a scrub turkey run straight out into my front wheel when I was doing 40+ at St Lucia. Braked hard, saw the turkey hit the wheel, then my foot....turned around, and it was up and running for all it was worth back into one of the Uni residential colleges. I stayed upright fortunately. Well, I had been wanting to practise hard braking. and that's twice this week now. (thurs night at Woody Pt one of two dogs on loose leaches didn't obey their idiot master's command to stay on the left side of the path. I locked up, the back end slid to the left, I turned to the left, and managed to stay upright and miss the dog...but not the idiot owner's abuse. bloody Peninsula bogans).

- then coming through West End markets, I nearly lost it on a bend in front of hundreds of lycra hating alts. tire inspection reveals about 40PSI in my front. change. coffee at espresso garage, and the new tube has gone down to 50psi. wtf!!! pump it up and continue cautiously. get to Wooloowin, and the back end is moving around on corners. inspection reveals the rear has about 50psi...... what the hell is going on. I change it and get to C Word. both tires have deflated significantly by the time I leave. I think I must have got a bad bunch of tubes, in addition to maybe picking up some very small fragments of glass that I failed to find. So it is two new tires and tubes for tomorrow.

- then my computer went dead. though I noted it was asking for a new battery this morning.

- then, I thought I better have a good look at the rest of the bike and gear, even though it's only been 6 weeks since a service with Tom Wallace, and some work by Paul B. I note there's a screw missing from one of my cleats. Well, it was there 3 days ago. Almost weekly, I test my cleats by trying to twist them. I think I'll have to not rely on that, and use a screw driver on the screws themselves. Of all the gear maintenance, I reckon cleats coming loose happens most frequently. I'd say this was courtesy of the rough walking on the Goat Track last Sunday.

I've done around 1000k in the last 3 weeks, so suppose more maintenance is understandable.

For tomorrow's Clear Mtn ride, Martin, Justin (a pharmacist), and myself are in.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:32 pm

Pharmacist hey!!
Coulda done with one of them today.. Smile

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2