Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

7/6/12 HPRW Elimbah Handicap Race

2 posters

Go down

7/6/12 HPRW Elimbah Handicap Race Empty 7/6/12 HPRW Elimbah Handicap Race

Post  ven2 Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:08 pm

Didn't look forward to riding in the drizzle.
Curious handicapping - early groups were passed before half way.

I went with the first group, which had some strong riders.
Nevertheless, our pace was slower than last time. Scott and two others did most of the work for the first 1/4. I decided to conserve energy until the second half.
Then early on the 2nd leg, a strong rider caught us, rested at the back for 3 minutes, then took off. Scott went with him, and another crossed.
I was at the back, and didn't. But then the rest of the group weren't keeping the pace on, so I took off. Steve Froome and another caught me towards the end of the rollies, and we worked together until 4k from the half way mark when Fless' group caught us. It had also towed the slower riders from my group. The speed was more intense and the riding aggressive, especially considering wind and drizzle.
Once around the half way mark, the pace picked up again; and several late nights watching TdF and the wine with dinner the night before, were evident.
When we turned left onto the rollies, I was pretty wasted, and fell off the back, as did half a dozen others; who I eventually passed after getting my breath. Another group passed me about 5k from the half way mark, but I was too tired to go with them, and rode the rest of the race on my own. Coming up to the left hander into Smiths Rd, Brin appeared to have gone down and injured his elbow. Gayle Singleton and her daughter? had stopped to assist.

1h58m was pretty close to my first handicap race time, so no shame.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

7/6/12 HPRW Elimbah Handicap Race Empty 7/6/12 HPRW Elimbah Handicap Race

Post  Dahlpad Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:11 am

Yes Bruce, as an observer at this race (club volunteer duties) I think you were not alone in finding it hard. Even though they were only intermittent showers, each one brought with it quite strong blustery winds so that is what made it hard for so many. And because the showers were intermittent along with their strong winds, groups were affected in different ways and some more than others. I know this because where I was marshaling I experienced much less rain and wind than Stuart who experienced considerably more wind and rain than I did and we were only a few kms apart. So a hard day for all. I didn't know Bryn came down. That's bad luck. I would be interested to hear from others in the race to see how they were affected.

Paul.

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down