Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A training ride and a half!!

4 posters

Go down

A training ride and a half!! Empty A training ride and a half!!

Post  Onehundredandeighty Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:39 pm

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/372329246

Tough day in the saddle this one!!
In case the link doesn't work, it was Nundah to Samford, up Glorious, down the other side then up to Somerset Dam Village, Kilcoy, Woodford, Mt Mee backside, Dayboro, Winn Rd, Clear Mtn then Rode Rd to home.
I have to say I was absolutely shattered when I got home. Probably a combination of yesterdays racing and a fair amount of weight loss in the last 7 weeks.

Highlights:
At least 10 magpie swoops, with one being a particularly nasty f**ker that had me standing on the side of the road out the back of Wivenhoe somewhere, wielding a stick at this little sh*t every time it came close! (must have had at least 30 goes at me). Would have looked funny if a farmer was watching!!
Hitting the backside of Mt Mee at 1.30pm without a breath of wind and what felt like 30+ degrees
Getting to Clear Mtn Rd with 200km on the clock and 3000mts of ascent in the legs!! Shocked 

Also a special thanks to the Council water truck driver who was probably on double time to pull out about 100mts in front of me and turn Neurum Rd roadworks into some 'Strade Bianche'!! Don't need to tell you what the bike looked like.

229 kms
3663 mts ascent
9:25 ride time
11:37 elapsed time
24.5 avge spd
1 x sore ass
Sore neck
Sore legs, BUT, I now have a few weeks off the bike, so time to rest up and hit it again towards the end of Sept.

Highly recommended loop if anyone wants to try it, but I also have to say its one of THE hardest single day rides I've ever done in SE Qld.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

A training ride and a half!! Empty Re: A training ride and a half!!

Post  ven2 Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:55 pm

Thank God you weren't riding your Fulcrum 3s!

Hope you understand my strong feelings about magpies better now. One day, a cyclist we know is going to be seriously injured because of their attacks...and the dill BCC enviro Nazis will just bury their heads in the sand.

Nevertheless, great effort Phil. very ambitious ride.
I wasn't strong today, and probably would have hitched or bussed from Kilcoy down to Caboolture and caught the train home, if I'd gotten there. At least there wasn't a car/bike up my ass when the spoke snapped. Was really hard to bring the bike to a stop as it all happened on the steepest part of the descent, and the brake pads had softened.

Your strength endurance will come back once you get off the Calorie deficit, and as discussed, spending a lot of time pulling a pack in a crit isn't ideal the day before a monster ride.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GD Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:15 am

Top effort mate, thats bloody awesome.. except for the magpie bit. That bit is shit as!
GD
GD

Back to top Go down

Post  smithsr Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:58 am

Top effort Phil. 9.5 hrs saddle time is a big deal.
smithsr
smithsr

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:42 am

smithsr wrote:Top effort Phil.  9.5 hrs saddle time is a big deal.
Thanks Scott, it was far from the longest day I've had on the bike, but really draining, mainly because of 'dead' roads, and, the meterage of course!!

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down