Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rain Training

5 posters

Go down

Rain Training Empty Rain Training

Post  GD Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:43 am

With all this great weather we are having lately it has forced not only myself but probably a few of us on to the good ol trainer (MtCootherPad?). After reading this article Bicycling Australia (http://bicyclingaustralia.com.au/2013/02/feature-get-most-your-garmin-gps) It gave me the idea of setting up a proper program for the trainer.
To get my program I just looked at some of my Strava data from a few races and it gave me enough info to throw together a basic plan using the Garmin Connect web site.

Via Garmin Connect goto "Plan" then hold on there till the drop down menu appears then click on "Workouts"
Through this page you can add different steps, as intervals, rest, or warm up.. etc. Here is my workout that I set up

Rain Training Race_Prog_zps0d22060c

So now this has got me to try and hunt down some other proper training programs, and try and alter my training till the rain goes away.
A few years ago I came across a guy in the US that runs a whole bunch of programs, via the web he can be a bit preachy and try and flog his own stuff pretty hard some times but he does have some really good tips too..

Anyway thought this may be useful for people, and maybe come up with a few programs of your own and post up.. Strava Stationary KOM!!
GD
GD

Back to top Go down

Rain Training Empty Re: Rain Training

Post  Onehundredandeighty Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:37 am

Great post GD, but....

F**k that indoor sh*t!!

We HAVE to get out on our Mtb's more often when the weather is crap like we've had.
I have to get my 29'er in to Ashley to get the shifting sorted. (Damn mechanical, it's SOOOO last century)

If anyone that has a mountain bike and has nothing on over the Easter weekend, there is a ride (hopefully) being planned down on the border ranges near Lake Moogerah. It will be a day trip, unless something goes wrong, so stay tuned.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Good idea for race specific training GD.

Rain Training Training1

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rain Training Empty Rain Training

Post  Dahlpad Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:28 am

Hey 180, you sold me a trainer. I love it so enough said. Now GD and BG I tried to print out your posts but the graphics won't print. But not to worry. I have copied them out and will try variations of them on my trainer. I've been doing straight tempo type 1 hour sessions and even uploaded one lot onto Strava where, BG will be pleased to know, I reached 60+kph without any wind assist! ha ha. The thing is if you want to lose weight, do an hour on a trainer. It's much more intense than an hour on the road and the kilos just fall off. I do agree with onehundredandeighty that it is boring though. That's why I split it into two half-hour sessions. After seeing your post GD, I thought your tabular program varied the session and is much more like a road ride. So I will try it today. I have seen that guy in the video clip before and he sure is a good talker. Always quite interesting but you have to buy a program from him and I really don't think there would be any personal input from him or his staff so in the end what you have worked out from your Strava data is probably just as good.

Pedalpad

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GD Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Hey TurboPad 60ks!! good stuff! I agree with you Turbo, since revisiting the trainer I really do think it can have a positive influence on training. After a few days pedaling at warp speeds on a trainer even with little resistance once you get back out on the road you seem to want to keep up that pace. I find its exceptionally good at heart rate training but lacking in strength training, I think next time get on the trainer Ill try and turn the resistance up a bit.. or just be done with it and max it out.... I actually got down to Nundah yesterday and with so many days off it really does suck on how quick you loose strength.
GD
GD

Back to top Go down

Rain Training Empty Rollers

Post  Jenni Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:33 am

We bought some rollers about a year ago and they have been worth it just over the last few weeks. We came back from Adelaide (TDU) pretty fit and if it wasn't for them most of the benefit would have been lost.

I do 2 x 20mins with a short break only and it seems as hard as a 50km ride as you have to pedal all the time and keep the cadence up (you certainly work up a good sweat). I cut the boredom by doing a program similar to those posted listening to music and can get up to 50kph (can't hold it long yet), but can do intervals on 40kph and average 35-37kph for the 20 mins.

Jenni

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down