Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training technique

5 posters

Go down

Training technique Empty Training technique

Post  brucestrees Mon May 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Accidently found a cool training technique while wheelsucking off BruceG. ie BruceG doing time trial laps, following rider wheelsucks and then full on sprint at the bridge to the finish line, then recover, wait for BruceG to come past, hook on and repeat. BruceG can make this very tough by going faster, reducing recovery time.
Probably could do it with 3 -4 riders . Continue until BruceG chokes. cheers Bruce E

brucestrees

Back to top Go down

Training technique Empty Re: Training technique

Post  Onehundredandeighty Mon May 21, 2012 1:44 pm

Tomorrow night then?

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dahlpad Wed May 23, 2012 2:07 pm

Yes BruceE, we did something similar with PB on Wednesday. Just three laps at 38kph with a sprint on each. Too hard for me. I could only manage two laps. My recovery is just not that quick although Cameron and Michael seemed to have no such problem! We also did "chop ins'' i.e. we formed a rotating paceline where no rider was on the front for more than a second or two. Once on the front the rider immediately chopped over onto the slow line and on reaching the rear moved to the working line and repeated the exercise. The whole process is very fluid and the change overs are much quicker than a normal rotating paceline. You might think the manoeuvre to be dangerous but in practice we found it quite safe with all moved predictable. Great training for breakaways. Another of PBs sprint exercises is to form a single paceline and the rear rider has to sprint to the front. At 40+kph it is very hard work as there are constant sprints taking place. Great training for attacks.
It just remains for us to actually do it!

Dahlek

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Wed May 23, 2012 2:35 pm

I did a good session one morning with the Coyotes down at the track. Well, when I say good, I mean hard, so it must have been good!!

3 of us start at the line, one guy on the front is the lead-out man for the lap, slowly building to what would be race speed along the straight, then the two guys following break in to a sprint at about the bridge, then on to the line obviously.
They then sit up until the lead out guy catches up to them (in the esses) and you all roll (recover) until the line, when you repeat the same drill, obviously taking turns. We did this until we'd had 5 sprints each. It sounds hard, because it was! Considering it was me with 2 x 'A' graders, I felt I was lucky to still be ALIVE!! affraid

We did it with 3, which is a good number but you could do it with 4, it would just mean you would get through your amount of sprint efforts quicker. Wouldn't it? I dunno', I wagged school the day we did Maths!!

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Thu May 24, 2012 12:30 am

I was doing 10 and 5 min. intervals when Bruce did his thing, the 10's around 36-37.
My goal is 40kph but may take 6 mths to get there.

My training focus now is to improve my weaknesses - acceleration and climbing.
Both will be most significantly improved by increasing power to weight ratio. So I'll be doing
- some sessions in the gym : leg press, knee extensions, leg curls. (Squats stir up an old back injury)
- explosive accelerations when climbing out of the saddle with extra weight (water bottles - 2 on bike, 2-3 in pockets).
- plyometrics : weighted jumps, lunges, hopping.
- core strengthening
- 10% bodyfat. In the last 4 weeks, I've started to reduce waist circumference.
- getting lighter aero wheels Smile
- improving bike and body control and position when sprinting out of the saddle.
- and some secret stuff you guys wouldn't be interested in Razz

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Training technique Empty RE: TRAINING TECHNIQUE

Post  PedroH Thu May 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Bruce

I have been doing heavy weight leg sessions in the gym in the last few weeks. Squats, leg press, lunges. The hurt that it has put on my legs has been unbelievable. I was nearly crippled for 3 days in recovery this week with legs that were sore to the slightest touch. I'm hoping it's making me stronger but I guess time will tell...

PedroH

Back to top Go down

Training technique Empty RE: TRAINING TECHNIQUE

Post  Dahlpad Thu May 24, 2012 4:15 pm

Gawd luv a duck . . . . what chance have I got!
Exterminate - exterminate - exterminate -

Dahlek

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Thu May 24, 2012 11:20 pm

Leave the ducks alone Darlek. Smile
Pete, have you ever done creatine monohydrate? It's worth doing while trying to build muscle.
Also, over the counter Diclofenac can help reduce DOMS.
Being super hydrated is also important to minimize DOMs and maximize muscle hypertrophy. Saturated muscle is more elastic and will hold more warmth and thereby resist tearing better.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down