Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TT Standing start training

3 posters

Go down

TT Standing start training Empty TT Standing start training

Post  Dahlpad Wed May 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Well what a shock Wednesday night's training was. Had we been able to get into TT paceline position at 42kph I might have survived but that race up to 50+kph in (I think) 12 seconds just smashed me. I held on and did my turns for the lap but believe me I was cooked by the time we crossed the first bridge! I'm no good at surging as I have repeated too many times so it was inevitable that I would burn out. I just never recovered during the whole session and have the sorest legs I have ever had in my life. I think it will be the best training for us. No more pussy footing about. Just do it! BruceG we have always said we should breakaway at 50kph and then drop off leaving those we lead out to carry on. Well I did that in this training session and now know I can do it so long as I can drop back to the bunch to rest. After hitting 50 we did drop back to 43/44 and I lasted the lap but should have been able to drop back to 35kph and rest. And in a race we would not be accelerating to 50 from a standing start. We could do it from 35kph and it would not hurt half as bad! I want to try it again tonight (Thursday). Think about it and I will see you tonight.

Paul.

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

TT Standing start training Empty Re: TT Standing start training

Post  ven2 Thu May 03, 2012 2:56 am

Hey Paul. acceleration requires much more energy than holding the same speed. It also uses cellular energy stores you don't use at steady state. That's why Paul's focus is more on acceleration and doing weight lifting. It's all about building power, and that hurts. So most recreational riders avoid it. Regarding your 50kph, weren't you guys told to take it to 42kph? I think one of the good things about this training is we are learning a lot about redlining, and the need to conserve energy for later. There's no point accelerating to a high speed if it redlines you, and reduces your overall average.

I've had a head bug since Sunday, and am still probably a little wasted from recent big rides with PhilM and Soldiers Honour, so didn't have a good night.

I brought out Michael's ever close to the surface wrath, when I cut to the right after moving to the left and giving the elbow. Michael was coming up my inside, and he and PaulB says we nearly collided. It was a lesson for me not to expect him to be predictable. I expected he was on my tail and would overtake within a predictable time frame. WHen he didn't, I wondered what his game was, as I had been weakening well beneath 40 into the wind on the bend, and no sign of him. PaulB had to calm him down, with intent. Enough said

Last edited by BruceG on Thu May 03, 2012 4:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : breathe deep)

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dahlpad Thu May 03, 2012 7:29 am

Yes Bruce, I had a close call with Michael also. I was last wheel but Michael joined us without my knowledge so when I crossed over onto the paceline I nearly collected him. He gave a yell and I avoided him but it was close. Read my other post re this subject. It is more to the point. Hope to see you tonight. Paul

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Thu May 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Topic of conversation tonight was who is pi$$ed off with their grading.

HPRW rider numbers
A 56
B 107
C1 68
C2 46
D 23
E 10
Jun 23

AC riders. If I left a name off, sorry.
Some controversies no doubt.

A Christopher Fraser ELITE x
A Andrew Macfarlane ELITE x
B James Bowes JNRU19 x
B Peter Oddsson MAS2 x
B Paul Willett MAS4 x
C1 Bruce Edge MAS6 x
C1 Joseph Hughes MAS4 x
C1 Mark Mclennan MAS5 x
C1 Philip Millham MAS5 x
C2 Stuart Curran MAS5 x
C2 Paul Dahl MAS8 x
C2 Michael Frost MAS5 x
C2 Bruce Gray MAS5 x
C2 Graeme Woolnough MAS7 x
C2 Martin Wright MAS5 x
D Paul Adcock MAS8 x

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Thu May 03, 2012 2:17 pm

So.......
who IS pi$$ed off with their grading?

Michael must be slippin' Terry some serious cash!!! Laughing A 'cushy' handicap at Soldiers Honour AND C2!! santa scratch

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Thu May 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Onehundredandeighty wrote:Michael must be slippin' Terry some serious cash!!! Laughing A 'cushy' handicap at Soldiers Honour AND C2!! santa scratch

Yeah it's a mystery, as is Mark McLennan in C1.
I think Terry grades people in part on bodyfat.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Thu May 03, 2012 10:27 pm

[quote

I think Terry grades people in part on bodyfat.
[/quote]

Based on that, I should be in D Grade then!! Wink

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down