Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride?

+4
ThomasR
Pom
ven2
Onehundredandeighty
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride? Empty Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride?

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Is anyone interested in doing this ride? Michael, what do you think..............................

Anyway, just puttin' it out there. BruceG and I have spoken about it but haven't really put anything into place yet so, here it is.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=359594

In keeping with Ascot Catering's newfound interest in 'roads that go skyward', we thought that this might be a change from the usual Sunday loop.
Give us your thoughts people.

It's a slightly more challenging ride than most might be used to, but don't be put off by it as there are plenty of options to cut it short if needed.

I've put down the 25th (Sunday week), as the date but it's all flexible, so let us know what you think.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride? Empty Re: Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride?

Post  ven2 Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Holy Mountain Goats Batman!!!
Now that's a huge beatch!

Yep. Definitely 4 peaks!

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride? 4peaks

I am certainly interested. But will be walking the upper section of Pei Rd (Mt Glorious Rd).

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:41 am

Graeme Woolnough just let me know he can't make it. He'll be up at the Mooloolaba Triathlon doing the cycle leg, while his son and daughter do the swim and run respectively. How many families could arrange that?

I think we have PhilM, PaulD, PeterH, and me currently.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:00 am

Will put it out to the group also, in case there's a few that didn't catch it on here. Wink

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pom Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:04 pm

I was very keen. A few too many vertical metres, but I need it.

Went to fit a new bottom bracket to cure a creak that appeared during the Mt Coot-tha ride and noted a whopping great defect in the carbon on the drive side wheel stay!!!!! affraid Did I just descend Coot-tha on that! Shocked

Anyway, off to see how Specialized handle that under warranty, and that only leaves me the old Malvern Star to contemplate doing this ride on. Big, BIG ask.

Put me down as a maybe - I'll see how the commute to and from work goes on the old beast.

Cheers,

Pom

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:10 pm

Currently interest stands at PaulD, BruceG, PedroH, Moi, BruceE, TinaG and her partner Marty.
The more, the merrier. The forecast, although it's a long way out, looks ok at this stage. Lets hope it stays that way.
AND, as I type, maybe POM will join us. Mate, that sounds like a new bike to me!! I've bought one for 'lesser reasons'!!

More to follow.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pom Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:29 am

I'm still in with a chance.

All going well, the bike will be built up on the new frameset Saturday afternoon.

Talk about a break in ride!

Pom

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:50 am

Thats great Pom, hope you can make it.
Just out of curiousity, what cassette are they putting back on? I'd make it a '28', especially if you're not running compact chainset.
It's always handy to have a 'climbing' cluster in your arsenal anyway.
Hope to see you Sunday.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pom Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:15 pm

Oh, I'm a sook with gearing. Laughing

I've always got a 28 tooth granny gear close by on one of the sets of wheels. Normally I leave the granny gears on the lightest wheels because I simply don't generate the power to climb the big stuff and maintain a 1/2 decent cadence.

Keep the 12/25 on the commuting wheels.

Hope the shop gets it all together in time, and I get time to do a rough 1/2 decent bike fit done.

Cheers,

Pom

Back to top Go down

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride? Empty 4 peaks ride update

Post  Onehundredandeighty Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:32 am

Ok. Definites and possibles for Sunday are at the moment:

PaulD
BruceE ?
BruceG
PeterH
Tina
Marty
MarkS (Phils mate) ?
MattS
PhilM
ThomasR
AndrewMc
If anyone else is interested just add your name to the list.
We are now leaving from the 'Memorial', Ascot Caterings 'new' ride departure point on the corner of Buckland and Bage Sts at Nundah, just up from the Prince of Wales Hotel. (A pub is always a good reference point) Razz
5:00 AM Start.
Lights required for the first 45 mins.
Don't forget adequate spares, cash, 2 x Bidons, phone, a couple of gels/bars and maybe a multi-tool and two reasonably large testicles!! Haha, just kidding. lol!

We will probably regroup at a few points along the way so don't feel like you're under any pressure at all during the ride. Don't forget PaulD, COMPLETE RIDER!!!
Will probably see most of you before then but if you are on the list and can't for any reason make it on Sunday, please send me a quick text, either Sat night or early Sunday so we aren't waiting for you at the start.
0400 500 122

Last edited by Onehundredandeighty on Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:33 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Extra player)

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:07 am

Good stuff Phil. I mentioned the ride in a Clear Mtn thread on Road Grime, inviting anyone interested.
Paul Willet (Paul Dubya), Alberto (AMR), and a couple of others thought it looked like an excellent ride, and were interested in doing it at a later stage....everyone preoccupied this weekend.

Personally, my attitude is to not put myself under pressure. I'll be one of the slowest on the hills due to recent injury, and will turn the cranks in my own time. And hopefully not fall so far behind I miss out on pancakes at Nebo. My lowest gear is 34/25, and I know that's not low enough to get me beyond the 2nd switchback on Pei Rd. So I'm intending to take the shoes off and walk 600-800 meters.

I've also heard Clear Mtn north face is very slippery if wet. Phil, can you confirm? I'll probably bail if there's anymore than light intermittent showers.

Last edited by BruceG on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:44 am

Yes Bruce, IF it was wet it MAY be slippery, but I am fairly confident that if seated,(which I would recommend anyway), you would get up without too much drama.
It does only touch on 18% very briefly so staying seated, or even if you got out of the saddle momentarily, I can't see a problem if your weight is distributed correctly.
Anyway, IT WON'T RAIN.. Smile It's a fairly 'rough chip' sealed road, so better than hotmix in that sense.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride? Empty riugh time table and route from Nundah

Post  ThomasR Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:55 pm

should the weather become nice to us cyclists, I am interested to join. What is the riough time table and route from Nundah. Are you planning of going up Clear Mountain from Eatons Crossing or Winn Road. I would join you at Albany Creek.

ThomasR

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:02 pm

ThomasR wrote:should the weather become nice to us cyclists, I am interested to join. What is the riough time table and route from Nundah. Are you planning of going up Clear Mountain from Eatons Crossing or Winn Road. I would join you at Albany Creek.

Thomas, there's a link in the first post that shows the route on bikeroutetoaster.com.
As per the post above, we're starting 5am from Nundah, and would probably average 28-30kph to Albany Creek allowing for lights.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AM Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:23 am

I'm in!
Sounds like a great ride.

AM

Back to top Go down

Post  Pom Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:22 am

Bike shop just called to say the frame hadn't turned up yet. No Saturday delivery from the courier, hence no bike till Monday, so I'll not be going. Sad

Hope you all have a good one, and I look forward to the write up!

Cheers,

Pom

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:27 am

Thats a bummer Phil, will let you know how it goes.
I'm sure PaulD will give us an excellent write up anyway.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride? Empty 4 peaks ride update..

Post  Onehundredandeighty Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Ok all,
There has been talk of a partial road closure due to a rockslide on Pei Rd (Yes, the steep bit of Glorious Rd).
It may be open on Sunday morning but we won't know until we get there. There IS a Plan B, so don't be too disappointed. :0)
It involves the Goat Track and the Gateway Bridge to finish on, which as it happens is a slightly more traffic friendly route as opposed to coming through the City/Valley AND has a 'tad' less elevation than the Cooksley St/Queens Rd hill at Hamilton.

The start time and everything else remain unchanged, so, still bring your climbing legs.
HOWEVER, there will be a 'Challenge' along the way which does involve a free coffee to the successful candidates. Stay tuned. Wink

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sunday March 25th.. 4 Peaks Ride? Empty I'm stunned!

Post  Pom Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:55 am

In a surprise last minute development, Action Bikes called at 4:00pm to say that the frame had turned up earlier in the afternoon, the build was 3/4 done, and if I still wanted the bike for Sunday, they would stay back and finish the build. cheers

So, new 2011 Roubaix SL3 Pro in the garage, and I'm putting the final touches on now.

SO different to the old bike to ride. Stiff as blazes in the bottom end and light. Put it on the scales on my good wheels at 7.8KG!

See you in the morning for a lengthy ride on a bike that's only ridden from the shop to home. Hope Jamie knows how to build a bike and leave the bugs out.

See you in the morning, weather pending.

Cheers,
Pom

Last edited by Pom on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pom

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:06 pm

Good news Phil,
Don't worry about the weather, we're ON!!
The Goat Track will be a good christening!
You'll have to get the offspring to give it a 'scrub' when you get home! Tell her to check for impurities while she's doing it!! :/
Sorry, just kidding!

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:09 pm

Great stuff Pom. Who delivers on Saturdays at 4pm? Probably been sitting in a distribution centre for 36 hours.

BTW, a guy mentioned he rode up the Goat Track yesterday, and it was no worse than a few months ago. It is gravel, but if you take it easy, you shouldn't get your nice new ride dirty. The Track is 3km long, and not a hard ride in my view.

Nevertheless, we'll still ride up Mt Glorious Rd a bit....there's supposed to be road blocks at either end. If we get a traffic control dude who is reasonable, they may let us ride through....which would be great to have it to ourselves.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pom Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:16 pm

I hope so. Looking forward to doing the whole run as planned.

I think we need a new section for "Post my Ride" as although I'm biased, THIS looks pretty sweet.

Cheers,

Pom

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:51 pm

tres schmicko Phil.
even more so for the sub 8kg.
now set your alarm for 4am.

final check list:
lube chain, gears tweaked, brakes squeezed with both hands, tires pumped, wheels on straight, light and puter batteries charged, pedals tightened a little extra for pulling on hills, cleats cleaned of grit and checked for looseness, phone charged, money, prophylactic aspirin, sunnies, extra set of testes, and a cup of concrete. Smile

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pom Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:57 pm

I've got to ride in to meet up, so bit before 4:00 for me.

Are we leaving from Cword or the memorial up the road?

Pom

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Pom wrote:I've got to ride in to meet up, so bit before 4:00 for me.

Are we leaving from Cword or the memorial up the road?

The latter, where the big German gun is, as Michael said recently.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next