Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Easter Ride Suggestions

+2
Onehundredandeighty
ven2
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Easter Ride Suggestions Empty Easter Ride Suggestions

Post  ven2 Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Many of us have a few extra ride opportunities over Easter, and roads within 40k of Brisbane may be comparatively quiet as the hordes exit the city.

How about everyone post their preferences here.

PhilM kicked off first with a Sunday mtb ride to Nebo. Phil, better check to make sure Boombana is going to be open.

Paul Willett suggested this Easter Sunday ride elsewhere

"I dont have permissions yet to post a new topic, but if anyone is interested in an Easter Sunday road ride (I saw there is already a MTB ride being organised), I will be doing this one on Sunday:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/nundah-camp-mt-loop
(Can add variations if anyone wants to add Clear Mountain)

Start at 06:30 (or 0600?) at the Cannon at Nundah.

Reply either here if coming, or to me:

email: paul.willett.facebook[at]gmail.com
tweet: willettpaul

Paul W"

Paul's ride looks good to me....and maybe the mtb'ers and roadies can rendezvous back at C Word.

I'm happy to do something with more variable terrain and 70-130km.
I think Clear Mtn, Forgan Rd, Scarborough will become a fav of mine.
Coot-tha, River Loop is also good when traffic is quieter.
Some groups also do a 3 points ride on the southside - Manly, Wello Pt, Cleveland Pt.

I think Mt Mee might be a bit busy with Easter traffic.
What's everyone else thinking?

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Easter Ride Suggestions Empty Re: Easter Ride Suggestions

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:39 pm

Good thread Bruce. One step ahead of you, checked last week, the cafe at Nebo IS open all weekend. Fri and Mon from 9am, Sat and Sun from 8am, as per usual.
Personally, I'm doing the 300k audax ride on Saturday out to Mt Mee/Kilcoy/Peachester/Scarborough and return.
Then the Ascot Catering goes Bush Take II Mountain Bike up the fire trail to Nebo (with mandatory pancakes/big breakfasts/coffee) on Sunday to 'back up'!!
Don't have a lot planned for Monday, but will probably be sleeping after having sat up on Sunday night for Paris-Roubaix on Eurosport... Smile

Your previous mention of a ride over Glorious and out to Wivenhoe after Easter sounds good. Do you have a weekend in mind for it?
We should map something out. One thing about going over Glorious is you will have to cover a few k's to get back, unless you come back over G from the other side!!!! Twisted Evil
How many kms do you think you are up for in a long aerobic ride at the moment? It will give me a starting point to map.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:30 pm

What about this in a couple of weeks?

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=373113

Up for it Bruce?

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Easter Ride Suggestions Empty Easter Sunday post ride coffee @ C-Word.

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:37 pm

Not sure what time you think you will be back at the dah', but I reckon the Mtb'ers wouldn't potentially be back at C-Word until 10.30-11.00?
Anyway, we can stay in touch on the day to see how we're travelling.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PedroH Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:36 am

Phil

I think I am interested in the Glorious - Fernvale - Mt Crosby ride. Not sure how I'll go but would be willing to give it a start.

Pete

PedroH

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:40 am

Thats great Pete. There'll be nothing fast about it, just a nice cruisey long ride.
Just keep the fluids and food going in and be hydrated before you start(work on it the day before), and it'll be fine.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Easter Ride Suggestions Empty Easter rides

Post  Dahlpad Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:44 am

Sorry everyone,

I have been given my instructions. I have to stay home and do the grandparent thing! I had planned to do Nebo on-road meeting the mtb-ers at the top but that has fallen through. Paul Willett's ride has much to recommend it and I hope will be one of our rides in the future. But the ultra marathons are a bit out of my league as I am going to focus more on the upcoming TT's and road races which I either do this year or forever hold my peace! So for me it will be medium distance, medium efforts and more specific training. So see you all tonight at the track.
Paul.

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:50 am

Hey PaulD, never mind the audax rides. You can always do them when you get old Basketball

Phil, hmmm.....I think ~200k and 2500m would be my comfort limit currently. Yeah I know....I need a cup of HTFU to stretch that to 300k and 4500m.

Can you clarify your biketoaster route. Seems you have Nebo Rd included twice, according to the elevation map.

BruceE and I had a good talk this morning about future options...he raised a couple of good ideas:
- a ride over Glorious to Wivenhoe could end earlier at Ipswich train station. Smile sounds sensible as an intro to breaking out beyond Moreton Basin.
- Esk-Kilcoy Rd up the west side of Lake Somerset is apparently a great ride.
- Boonah, Laidley, and Toowoomba range have good riding options.

I sense this winter will have great cycling weather, with the end of the La Nina event, and I'll be keen to do longer rides away from the greater metro Brisbane, on quiet backroads. Nevertheless, autumn might still be wet, with the BOM giving an 85% chance of rainfall exceeding median.
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ahead/rain_ahead.shtml

How about we get a list of longer rides together, then a primary and secondary list of weekends to do them.

Considerations:

- public school holidays :
31/3-15/4
23/6-8/7
22/9-7/10
Whether long rides are better during or away from school hols is arguable. School hols may favor some riders and not others. Holiday traffic is probably higher outside greater Brissie.

- public holidays
Anzac Day
Labor Day
Queen's Birthday
Brisbane Exhibition Holiday

- Phil, as chief randonneur, when are you available for SE Qld rides? I forget your Euro dates. Any longer ride I do, I'd prefer it was with you as I am sure you're experience with preparation, pacing, pig outs, and safety will be priceless.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:16 am

Hey Bruce, not quite sure what you mean by Nebo Rd included twice. The only road travelled twice on that route is Settlement Rd, once on the way out and then back over it after coming off Gap Ck Rd!!

I'm available on the weekends of 14/15 April, 21/22 and 28/29. The Frank Papp 1000km Beaches and Beyond is on the 5,6 and 7 of May. Probably out of action the weekend after that!! Sleep Shocked
But then any weekend leading up to the 9th/10th June, being the last long ride weekend before going OS on the 15th.
Happy to do something most weekends but I am a bit 'over' anything that involves the Darling Downs, as I have sworn off doing any more out there.
That area has been flogged to death with Audax rides and I've just had enough of them. I also like a bit of scenery when I ride and out there, you've seen one paddock, you've seen 'em all!!
A good idea to cut some kms on a ride by getting a train from somewhere to home. This can also be done to good effect going up the coast(hinterland).

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:53 am

Hey Phil, re the route, when I first checked it, there was a big climb/descent at the beginning, and another at the end. But now there isn't.
Yeah, am open to other areas apart from Darling Downs.
A loop I've wondered about is Maleny, Montville, Mapleton, Kennilworth, Connondale, Maleny. nice country, though I'd check with Mel first, as she once said the traffic was more feral these days.
And if you want a challenging climb, reverse it, and climb up to Mapleton.

See you this arvo.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterO Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:28 am

Hey all

This is the ride I plan to do on Saturday 7 April

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=373565

It includes two ascents of Mt Mee

Anyone is welcome to come with me !!
PeterO
PeterO

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:40 am

Good ride there Peter. A few of us are doing a 300k Audax that goes out through Winn Rd and over Mt Mee to Kilcoy, but doesn't leave Banyo until 7am, so we may see you when you're on your way back.
Have a good ride.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Easter Ride Suggestions Empty A S/Coast hinterland ride..

Post  Onehundredandeighty Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Hey Bruce, this is a shorter version of Stuarts 'Oh Obi Obi' 200km Audax ride that we did late last year. It has fantastic scenery including Mary Cairncross Park behind Maleny overlooking the Glasshouse Mtns, the climb up Obi Obi and coming across the top of the range through Montville.
It's best done going down to Conondale from Witta as the descent is fast and flowing. I wouldn't say the half a dozen times I've been out to Kenilworth that the traffic has been too bad at all, so I wouldn't worry about that.
I would recommend parking at Beerwah only because it's fairly central, but it would be easy to add more kms if that is desired.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=373628

I would be keen to even do it next Saturday the 14th, that way we could call in at Elimbah on the drive home to see the boys racing.
Or, the 21st would also suit. Even the Sundays of those weekends.

What do you think?

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:23 pm

Phil, I've ridden parts of that route in the past - 20 years ago Maleny Mary Cairncross park to Mapleton... and towards Reesville. Grandfather had a farm at Connondale, so rode a bit between there and Kenilworth.
Drove it about 6 mths ago, and remember the climbs.

I'd be willing to give it a go, though I'm slow on the climbs as I am still regaining strength and carrying weight.
And it could also be shortened by taking off from Maleny or Mary Cairncross park and excluding Beerwah Landsborough Peachester.

The weekend after school hols finish might have less tourist traffic, 2 weeks out, 21-22/4/12; but would consider next weekend too depending on your view on holiday traffic.

P.S. I definitely don't want to ride Steve Irwin Way. Came back on it on the Nundah Maleny ride last year, and don't think it is safe.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:31 pm

Totally agree on the Steve Irwin Way comment Bruce, it is very dangerous. If you zoom in, you'll notice that 'leg' between Landsborough and Beerwah is on the western side of the railway line.
I can't really see there being much difference traffic wise with holidays or not. I reckon an early start on whichever day we decide is still recommended. We have to find out who else may be interested.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Easter Ride Suggestions Empty Broken Wheel

Post  PedroH Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:00 am

Got home from training on Tuesday night and discovered two broken spokes on the rear wheel. Ashley is rebuilding today. Hopefully will be good for tomorrow morning. Does anyone know what the plans are for Good Friday rides?

PedroH

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:43 am

Got no idea Pete, haven't heard whats going on.
I'm going down the track in the morning. Coyotes have a 1hr TT on, not sure if I'll do it but will still do a roll at least.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:26 am

Thx Phil. Yeah when I had a closer look I could see it was on the old section.

Pete, must be some most awesome power being transmitted through those spokes. Smile
I had a good look over my bike this morning.
heard someone decleated in a sprint last night, so tightened up mine.
put a new tire on the back, changed a tube that had a really slow leak.
re-torqued a few bolts.
Sprint training ups the stress on bike and body, so good to make sure both are up to it.

My tentative plans are 530-600a starts
Fri: Clear Mtn, Forgan Rd, Scab
Sat: Coot-tha and either or both Upper Brookfield Rd and River loop.
Sun: Probably Paul Willett's Samford ride, if he doesn't mind being slowed down a lot.
Mon: depends how stuffed I am. But possibly Gateway Manly Wello Pt and beyond.

Hopefully, we'll see some Easter Bunnies over the hols
Easter Ride Suggestions Helle-frederiksen

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PedroH Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:27 am

Bruce

If I get the bike back this arvo I will join you for Clear Mtn, Forgan Rd, Scab in the morning. 5:30 at the Canon?

PedroH

Back to top Go down

Easter Ride Suggestions Empty Easter ride suggestions

Post  Dahlpad Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:48 am

Gee BruceG, that's a great bike! Ha ha.
Enjoy the rides Peter. Hope the bike is ok. Must have been the Goat Track! Isn't PhilM doing the firetrack up Nebo? I'm grounded I'm afraid. I thought it better to give in and do what I am told otherwise I will never hear the end of it! Good riding. Have a good Easter. See you at the track next week.

Paul.

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Easter Ride Suggestions Empty Broken Wheel

Post  PedroH Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:03 am

Bruce - I'm out. Bike not ready till tomorrow.

Paul - Happy wife... Happy life... come back soon or you will lose form...

Pete

PedroH

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:49 am

Paul, as Lance says, it is not about the bike Smile

Pete, might see you at C Word on Sunday. Big effort from Ashley to work on Good Friday.
I'll be starting my rides from home, unless someone else is interested.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:47 pm

Everyone, C-Word is NOT open all weekend. Rang them today to check.
However, Saabi on Manson Rd at Hendra is and if you can't find anything else, RetroEspresso on Edinburgh Castle Rd is also open all weekend.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:35 am

Phil, to clarify I am happy to have a go at Glorious Wivenhoe or Maleny Mapleton, and eventually both.

Got a nice 115k in this morning. Clear Mtn, Forgan Rd, Scarb. There was what looked like an organized ITT along Winn Rd when I went through. I've never seen so many cyclists on the peninsula as this morning.

Today I realized my unstable back end is due to loose or worn rear wheel bearings. Will have to see how repairable they are. It's done 20,000km. Glad I wasn't imagining it at training.

edit: further, when I took the wheel apart, the cassette lock nut was loose. Sadly, that's most likely attributable to the Tom Wallace service.

Last edited by BruceG on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Easter Ride Suggestions Empty Sunday Ride

Post  Paul Dubya Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:27 am

Hi All,

For those not mountain biking Sunday, I am all go ahead for the Nundah-Samford-Camp Mt - Nundah ride, and depending on wishes of those starting, happy to throw in a Clear Mountain as well on the way out.

I will try to be at Cannon by 0600, but may be just a few minutes after that due other morning commitments.

The route is: > bikely.com/maps/bike-path/nundah-camp-mt-loop

I have invited a few others along via a Facebook Event, but being Easter I will not be surprised to be going along by myself! Never mind, because the weather is glorious at the moment.

If you want to friend me on Facebook, as tedious as Facebook is, my link is here: facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003085767808

The event link is here: facebook.com/events/324686457586324/

Have a great Easter. I have a full on training program over the next couple of months so I expect to see you all at some stage down at the Nundahdome. I will be the one cursing the f@#$%ing power meter!

Paul Dubya

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next