Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Ascot Catering Cycling
Hey Please Log In
Ascot Catering Cycling
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advanced Bike and Race Craft Skills with Ashley McGowan

+2
Onehundredandeighty
ven2
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Advanced Bike and Race Craft Skills with Ashley McGowan Empty Advanced Bike and Race Craft Skills with Ashley McGowan

Post  ven2 Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:30 am

I saw Ashley this morning, and we got talking about stuff.

He has generously agreed to coach or train a group of at least 3 in advanced bicycle handling skills for better and safer general road riding, racing, and off road riding.

Some subjects likely to be covered:
- high speed cornering and retaining precision control.
- rear wheel sliding to facilitate cornering and control.
- safer road bike skills on the road
- better bicycle control when out of the saddle
- bunny hopping gutters, potholes, and obstacles (like fallen riders and bikes)
- bunny hopping laterally, as onto a footpath when traveling parallel to the gutter.
- advanced balance skills and regaining balance.
- insightful mechanical skills

Ashley is a cool guy and very generous with his knowledge, and an excellent communicator.

He is thinking of doing it at Nundah Track and nearby.
Maybe around 9am after a group ride would be an excellent time.

If anyone is interested, could you communicate via this thread.
Cost will not be exorbitant, and I think everyone realizes how reasonable Ashley's service costs are.

Due to the nature of the subject, Ashley will not be accepting any liability for injuries, so a disclaimer may have to be signed.
Nevertheless, we're considering using the grass inside the track initially, and appropriate mtb racing protection gear when pushing things on the bitumen.

Cheers
Bruce

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Advanced Bike and Race Craft Skills with Ashley McGowan Empty Re: Advanced Bike and Race Craft Skills with Ashley McGowan

Post  Onehundredandeighty Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:43 am

Lock me in Eddie...

I'd be keen.
I assume when you say 9am you're talking Sat or Sun.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Advanced Bike and Race Craft Skills with Ashley McGowan Empty Re: Advanced Bike and Race Craft Skills with Ashley McGowan

Post  ven2 Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:12 am

Sorry, yep Phil. Sunday after a group ride...even if a Scab ride is best for him.
There's probably need to have a couple of sessions i.e. one on the flats, then one on Coot-tha or another significant climb/descent.

It's all casual at this point. I'll fire an email to Rob and Michael for vetting of the idea as worthy of the weekly email! Smile

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Advanced Bike and Race Craft Skills with Ashley McGowan Empty Advanced Bike and Race Craft Skills with Ashley McGowan

Post  Dahlpad Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:54 am

Yes BG, count me in as well.

PD

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RS Cyclist Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:02 am

Hook me up with this one brother

RS Cyclist

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:39 am

Thanks guys. I'm seeing Ashley today, so will get a few tentative dates to play with.
I'm thinking a couple of Sundays in February.

If anyone has preferences, nominate your best times.
A week night might be possible, but will confirm later.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Frost Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:18 am

thank you bruce, an excellent call. i will be keen to participate with ashley. i wait to hear which sunday suits. cheers, michael

Michael Frost
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:36 am

Thanks Michael. Ash wants to keep the groups small, and the first session has already filled by word of mouth.
Be sure to check this thread from time to time for the next session.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:46 am

OK, spoke with Ashley this morning

First session is 5pm Tuesday 12/2/13
Where: Nundah Crit track for 5 riders.
Cost $20
Duration ~1 hour

This first session will be less structured and an opportunity to explore multiple areas of interest.
Ashley will bring some mtb protective gear for elbows and knees, but not enough for everyone.
If you have older equipment and elbow and knee pads, bring them...don't use your best wheels.
These sessions are about improving agility and control of the bike, so mishaps are likely.
This is a privately organized event amongst friends, and Ashley (HighGearacing) and I are not carrying liability for personal injury or material damages.
Nevertheless, you're free to sit out challenges you are not comfortable with.

The first session will likely include : high speed cornering, high speed braking, stability and efficiency out of the saddle, bunny hopping (small and larger objects and gutters, at fast and slow speeds), staying upright when being knocked around in a pack.
Other potential topics: looking behind for several seconds, and holding a straight line; clipping in/out efficiently everytime; riding no hands, and one hand, insight into speed wobble and how to avoid.

I've already had some instruction from Ashley, and I can say he is a naturally gifted teacher.

First in line are : BruceG, PeterB, PaulD, PhilM, RicS.

Could Paul, Phil and Ric confirm your places by tomorrow 7pm (Sunday 3/2/13), here on the thread only.
If not, you default your spot to MarkMc, then MichaelF, JustinW.

Once you've committed, it's only fair you pay Ashley whether you show up or not. Though you can send someone else in your place as long as you post it here beforehand. (I won't arrange replacements)

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:16 am

I'm confirming as a starter for next Tuesday (12th).

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Advanced Bike and Race Craft Skills with Ashley McGowan Empty View newest post You have posted in this topic. Advanced Bike and Race Craft Skills with Ashley McGowan

Post  Dahlpad Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:26 am

Yes BG, I'm confirming my place in the above.

PD

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RS Cyclist Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:43 am

Yep for me

RS Cyclist

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:58 am

Some of you caught up with Ash yesterday arvo at the track, when he got the dates mixed up (all sorted with him for next Tues).
If weather is averse, I'll confirm via the forum an hour or two beforehand what the call is - will proceed if drizzly, but not heavier.

See you at twilight racing this arvo.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smithsr Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:38 am

Bruce - just caught up with this thread - If there is a place left I would be a starter Scott
smithsr
smithsr

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:37 am

Scott, have a talk to Ash on Tuesday 5pm next week.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:12 am

All happening at 5 guys. See you soon.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Onehundredandeighty Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:47 am

Good session that.

I got a lot out of it. It was amazing how the confidence grew within the hour.
Certainly not overpriced. Wink

Looking forward to doing some homework, and next week.

Onehundredandeighty
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:15 pm

yeah agree Phil. My survival instincts were strong at the start, and it took a wtf attitude to have a go, esp cleated in on bitumen. Was amazed I progressed as much as I did. I never owned a bike until 23yo, so have to make up a lot.
look forward to my homework tomorrow.

Kudos to the rest of the class, esp nappypad....imagine how strong his self preservation instincts are.

And good on Ric for going OTB, and getting straight back on....maybe that's something we all need to learn and practise....over and over until we get it right Laughing

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:23 pm

Hey Martin, I am after a crap bike to use at Ashley's next session. Can I borrow your Look, or your Pinnie. What a Face

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:01 am

Did my homework this morning, and came within a mm of going OTB -was practising stopping and lifting rear wheel....got just a bit too much rear lift and felt myself going OTB...had a spot picked whereer I was going to land and all.....then the hand realized it was connected to the brain, and I let the brake off not a moment too soon -> front wheel moved forwards and I recovered. Must have lifted the front or rear 150 times today riding from Sandy into Nundah and back, but don't think I progressed.

Realized when I first get on the bike in the morning though, my balance is crap. Could hardly lift the front wheel....but then I get a bit better coordinated as I warm up.

Quite humbling this old dog learrning new tricks stuff.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  smithsr Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:29 am

Been practising on both the road and MTB bikes. I can do the front wheels lifts OK in a fashion I guess, but I am really crap at trying to slow ride/track stand. The involuntary jerk/fear factor kicks in very strongly when my balance feels threatened. Got some cheap flat pedals when I picked up my MTB shoes yesterday, so I can work on it without trying to jerk out of my clip-ins all the time. Will be a long while b4 I can be a cool cat at the lights like Glenn. Starting to learn how old dogs might be feeling.
smithsr
smithsr

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:03 am

Practiced track stand stuff this morning. Wore my runners on top of cleat pedals, which imho is a better way to start out - sure helps get over the fear of falling cleated in. Felt I really improved a lot. It also helped to be on the flats facing into the wind, and rocking my feet back and forth around 8 and 2 o'clock. They also say it helps to have the bike pointed up a slight ascent, so you're pushing the bike against resistance.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Well, chalk up another example that practice pays.
Yesterday arvo, I timed myself holding an out of saddle track stand for 5 minutes!!! then did it again this morning for 3 minutes.

However, conditions were:
- wearing deck shoes on top of my cleat pedals
- front wheel on grass, rear wheel on concrete
- didn't have to rock the bike back and forth

Now time to try it in the saddle.

Will post here tomorrow around 3pm whether the second session is on. most likely if just intermittent light showers.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ven2 Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:44 am

Ashley's session is off this arvo due to threatening weather and Ash being a bit off color.
Will reschedule for next Tuesday, but need to confirm with Ash.

ven2
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dahlpad Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:25 pm

BG, that's really good. I might try it uncleated . . . loved your idea for getting Martin's "old'' bike to practise on and the nappypad bit(!)

Dahlpad
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next